Welcome Guest! You have made 50 posts!

Join Our Discord! : Here After high demand from everyone, we've finally opened a Discord Chat Server for the site!
We are an AU Naruto Roleplay Forum!

2 posters

Buddhism & Business

Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin
    Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin

Village : N/A

Buddhism & Business Empty Buddhism & Business

Post by Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:03 pm

"Where no wise direction is, the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Hype walked through the bustle of the Penumbra Central Station with his hands jammed into his pockets. The super-centenarian was wearing a varsity sports jacket, a pair of black shorts, ninja scandals and a look of mal content. He wasn't angry per se, more annoyed. There was a time where others would come to him. Where he could sit in the splendor of his temple and entertain guests from around the world. The closer he got to his destination, the more he was reminded of how far his reputation had fallen. He was much older now. Those who remembered and feared his name were either dead or consumed by the shadows of the criminal underworld. He was now just an odd-looking senior citizen in a world dominated by the youthful. Hype's bitterness did not stop him though. He knew that he still retained the bulk of his skill and experience. He was not completely starting from scratch which meant that once he had forged the necessary connections, he could rise again at an even faster rate. This was just a necessary step in the process. It wasn't the world's fault that it had moved on. It was simply the way things were.

Whatever happens will happen.... he thought sagely as she shrugged his shoulders.

Hype's status as a Jounin in the Iwagakure military allowed him to get an audience with Kara. He deceptively informed the necessary business bureaucrats that he was here on official village business. Surely Kara would make time for a representative of a great power. Iwa had just acquired all of Wind Country which meant that the nation had doubled in size overnight. It was a tremendous opportunity for any business person. Hype was directed to the HR department where he'd sit outside whatever office Kara chose to use for the purpose of this meeting. The elderly man plopped down on the chair and swung his legs like a child. He was so small and his head was so large that many wondered if he was some kind of human experiment. An abomination birthed in the Ijuslakare District who had been sold to Iwa as a profit. Hype grinned. His life would have been much simpler if he had been designed to be a monster rather than simply born one.

He interlocked his hands, closed his eyes and patiently waited to be recognized.
    Kara
    Kara

Village : Kumogakure

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Fuuton, Doton, Jiton, Chemistry, Iryojutsu, Engineering, Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Fuuinjutsu, Ninjutsu, Kugutsu, Genjutsu
    Class: S
    Ryo: More than I need, less than I'd like

Buddhism & Business Empty Re: Buddhism & Business

Post by Kara Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:04 pm

Kara was in her office in the Penumbra Central Station, staring out the window at the city below her while idly swirling an amber coloured liquid around in a crystal glass. It had been a few days since she’d brought her brother’s body back to Darhkvale and she was still processing the event. Processing in her case had meant using up all of Doku’s energy at night while drinking during the day. It was less intense than it had been after learning that Damien was killed, but it was still painful. Not that she’d let anyone in on that fact. One didn’t form an elaborate armor like her own hard won reputation and then throw it away over something as silly as grief. Not more than once anyway. Despite her mental and emotional state, she was still the picture of perfection incarnate; her elegant black gown was perfectly smooth and the silver and gold embroidery shone in the morning light. Her long blonde hair was expertly coiffed and piled atop her head, giving her just a few more inches of height along with her stiletto heels. The only piece of jewellery she had was a platinum pendant encrusted with diamonds in the shape of a crescent moon. It was a delicate piece of work that stood out in stark contrast to the more elaborate workings of her metallic prosthetic arm.

Mai had been concerned of course, though in the absence of Kara’s right hand Priya, Mai had been too timid to voice her opinion and had opted for enabling instead. That morning Mai had done her usual work and had also refilled all of Kara’s liquor decanters knowing that the business magnate would likely still be grieving in her own quiet and alcoholic way. The pink haired woman had even taken over tending to Kara’s appointments, and this particular morning she’d noticed an interesting one. A jounin for Iwagakure had made their way to Darhkvale, and was apparently here on official business. Mai knew that Kara would want to see them, since she’d been looking for a way into the markets in the Land of Earth for quite some time.

The chipper executive assistant had informed Kara of the coming meeting and then gone into the hallway to address the jounin. She was a bit surprised when she saw an elderly man sitting patiently and waiting. She looked down at the notebook she held and double checked both the time and the intended meeting. “No, that’s right. . . “ She muttered the words quietly to herself and then approached Hype with a brilliant smile. “Welcome to Darhkvale! I hope you weren’t waiting long, Mistress Kara will see you now if you’ll follow me.” She tried to cover her misgivings with businesslike friendliness, Mai had not been expecting someone like Hype to be representing a Major Nation’s military.

Assuming Hype followed Mai, she would lead him down the hallway to a set of double doors. These doors were unlike the rest of the building in that they were more traditional mahogany where everything else was more modern steel and glass. Swinging the doors wide, Mai would tuck her notebook under one arm and then stand aside to allow Hype to enter past her. “Mistress Kara, your ten thirty appointment has arrived.” Inside the office was an eclectic collection of modern and traditional styles, including a chaise lounge upholstered with vibrant red velvet that sat in front of a gold and glass low standing table. In the center of the room was a dark mahogany desk that matched the doors and behind it was floor to ceiling window panes that afforded a spectacular view of the whole metropolis. On one side of the room was shelves of books and journals and various artifacts, and on the other was a wet bar filled with expensive looking liquors in even more expensive looking bottles. If Hype was visible once the doors were opened, Kara would turn to look at her ‘ten thirty’ and a wry look of amusement and recognition would glimmer in her golden eyes as she waited patiently for the man to enter.

Mistress Kara:
    Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin
    Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin

Post by Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:46 am

Hype turned his head to stare at the assistant as she came out to greet him. The assistant's pink hair color reminded him of his own right hand Sadie. He gave a gentle smile and shook his head when she asked if he had been waiting long. He hopped off of the chair and followed her to the office. He had noticed her surprise at seeing him. When one thought of a Jounin, they didn't think of a dwarf sized senior citizen. Usually such shinobi were at the peak of their youth and physical effectiveness. The Sanyassa's high rank was thus an oddity for most civilians. Hype had encountered this bias for decades and he often used it to his advantage. People were more likely to underestimate an old man and he had seen to it that they paid for their ignorance. It was only once people learned from the mistakes of others that they began to treat with with the respect that was reserved for a strapping young man. Hype doubted he'd need to go through this exercise with Mistress Kara, but he was prepared to do so if necessary.

Hype walked behind Mai. He allowed her to outpace him owing to her larger size and the natural sense of urgency that most executive-level assistants possessed. Whether or not she took the time to allow him to catch-up would be noted. Regardless, he'd eventually enter in the room behind her. He kept his hands in his pockets and wore a bored expression on his weathered face. The soccer star's eyes appeared to be half-closed and one would think he was in a daze with the way he examined the room. It was beautiful. It was designed by someone with a respect for tradition, but with an eye towards the future. Just the kind of young person he could do business with. Once Hype was done taking in his surroundings, he looked Kara up and down. The Baroness was a statuesque figure. She was draped in a fine gown and wore jewelry that would put any of his diamond mines to shame. He smirked and silently blessed the woman for her overindulgence in the material.

The moment the two made eye contact, he clasped his hands together in prayer near his chest and executed a slight bow. It was the traditional greeting of Anjali Mudra. A way for a Buddhist to express welcome and respect for another individual. This woman owned an entire city and had a deep hand in global affairs. He would need to show deference where deference was due.

"Kara Darhk, its a pleasure" the old man's voice was raspy. It had the gravely quality of a voice-box that had aged one hundred years, but it contained a lightness of character that could only be elicited from a child. "Mmmmmm." he said as he moisturized his lips with his prehensile tongue. An eerie sight to be sure. "I've heard plentiful things about you. That you are generous to your friends and dreadful to your enemies. I do not wish to be a burden on your already encumbered plate so I will not waste your time. I am not here on behalf of Iwagakure. Not really. I am here on behalf of myself. If Iwa happens to be a beneficiary of our talks then all the better. Please excuse the deception but I had to make sure that I could see you in person. This world turns so quickly. And things were not as they once were."

Hype had noticed the moment of recognition. He did not want to brag about his former position in the criminal underworld, but he did wish to highlight that he could not rely on it the way he once did. Hype opted to allude to his previous status without outright stating it. If Kara was as smart as she purported to be, then she'd catch his drift. The Sanyassa was somewhat surprised that Kara knew who he was. She was not a native to this part of the world and he had been careful to conceal his involvement in criminal activities for the last few decades. That is, aside from his participation in the Blood Prison assault. This Mistress was most unlike other business people. She was something special.
    Kara
    Kara

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Fuuton, Doton, Jiton, Chemistry, Iryojutsu, Engineering, Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Fuuinjutsu, Ninjutsu, Kugutsu, Genjutsu

Post by Kara Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:32 pm

Mai was efficient and it had taken her a moment to realize that she was striding towards the office much faster than the person she was leading. As soon as she had realized it however, she had slowed her pace to accommodate the man’s slower gait. As soon as she’d announced the man to Kara and he had entered the office, Mai had quietly and respectfully backed out of the room and closed the door to give the two privacy.

Kara recognized the greeting that Gou Zhuan gave and would return it in kind. She was not spiritual or religious in any way, but she had no issues with offering a respectful greeting that the man seemed to value. She was well versed in the theory of such things, but considered herself a purist of science and didn’t feel any compulsion to offer up part of her mind to the belief in existential forces.

She kept her eyes on him as he greeted her, taking in his physical appearance as well as his body language as he admitted to lying about his presence here. She found his physique fascinating and for a few seconds ran through all the ways she might be able to convince him to allow her to run a battery of tests, though she dismissed them all. She didn’t particularly care about being lied to, since in the end it wasn’t her that was deceived. She would have to talk with Mai later about her apparent lack of competence when it came to verifying information, but Kara was not personally offended. She did find it interesting that he had chosen to admit his falsehood to her, it implied a level of intellect not readily apparent. Anyone that actually chose to lie to her and expected her to believe them was either as dumb as a rock or delusional, or both. It would seem that at least in this regard, Hype was neither, and that bit of information piqued her interest.

Kara would blink once and then move to the red velvet chaise lounge, sitting down comfortably as she placed her still full glass on the table across from her. With her metal arm she gestured to a comfortable looking high backed leather chair nearby to indicate that Hype was welcome to sit. “A pleasure indeed, Hype.” She let his pseudonym hang in the air and watched to see his reaction. She was far too young to have known him personally in his prime, but she was well read and made it her business to know everyone who was anyone. Especially when it was rumored that their particular skills overlapped.

With a charming smile she would raise her glass once more and take a small sip and then set it down again as though she’d forgotten something. “My, my. Where are my manners? Can I get you something? Anything you like of course; food, drink. . . stronger drink?” She gave a polite laugh as she listed everything she thought was acceptable, which was everything. She hadn’t forgotten, but if this man was here on illicit business which from what she knew of his reputation was likely, then she needed to establish herself as top of the food chain. Much as she’d had to do in the Land of Wind. She would wait to hear his reply, if he chose alcohol then she would get it for him herself from the well stocked bar in her office, and if it was anything other she would summon Mai and get her to fetch his requests.

Once she was reasonably certain that her guests needs were tended to, she would take another sip of her drink and lock her gold coloured eyes on his half lidded ones. “You know plenty about me, but I know little about you. Only what the papers and rumours tell. You could have drawn my attention with your actual identity, but I’m sure you knew that. It leads me to believe there was some reason to not use it to gain a private audience. So indulge me; what can the Mistress of Darhkvale provide for you?”

Mistress Kara:
    Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin
    Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin

Post by Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:00 am

Hype appreciated Mai's patience. The woman's Mistress must have trained her well. He was also impressed by Kara's execution of the Anjali Mudra. She didn't seem to be beholden to the spiritual weight behind the gesture, but the thought was nice.
    Hype watched Kara watch him. His body was a curiosity even to those mildly familiar with his feats. How could such a small man cast such a large shadow? Hype smirked and waited for Kara to invite him to sit which she did. He sat down on the fine leather chair and interlaced his hands in his lap. He noticed that one of Kara's arms was made of metal. The Earth Country native knew that the Eclipse Federation specialized in certain types of medical advancements, but this was his first time seeing one of their creations up close. A prosthetic that good meant that Kara had to be combat competent, or at least, wasn't willing to totally entrust all of her safety to her bodyguards. The fact that she recognized him and referred to him by his infamous nickname caused him to raise a brow.

She has done her homework... He now knew he was truly dealing with an equal. Kara knew her histor. A learned scholar of the past as well as an ardent pioneer of the future. The CEO's decor was truly a window into her mind. Feeling mighty pleased with himself, he nodded graciously when she asked if he would like a drink. "A Whiskey '43 if you have it my dear" he said softly. Hype would not insult Kara by ordering anything less than top-shelf liqueur. If he received a guest and they asked for some cheap swill as though he were a commoner, he'd have broken their shins with a single kick. Anyone schooled enough to have a premium alcohol cabinet knew what "Whiskey '43" was. It was an extremely expensive bottle of whiskey that had been aged starting in 743 A.S. They were a finite number of them in the world and all were said to be of a decadent flavor and potent proof. It was Hype's first drink when he had signed himself over to the Kaifeng Clan as a soccer athlete. The Monastery had forbidden acolytes from drinking and oddly enough it was the one rule that Hype actually followed. The signing party was his first time drinking alcohol and his benefactors had presented him a bottle of the stuff as though it were a mere party favor.

Good Times Then....Good Times Which Shall Be Had Again....

Assuming Kara had the Whiskey '43 and poured him a glass, he'd stand up and bow as he received it with both hands. The old man's lips curled into a gracious and innocent smile. Unfortunately, his mouth was so wide that the smile took on a sinister character. The corners reached his ears and his grateful eyes seemed to hunger for more. He sat back down, sipped the drink and shrugged when she verbalized her curiosity regarding him covering up his true identity. Hype had his reasons. Part of him wanted to analyze this woman who had the world's military industry in the palm of her hand. He wanted to size-up this noted surgeon and determine whether she was worth doing business with. He wanted to do these things without fear of her putting on a front. Part of him also wanted to see if she'd figure it out on her own. Perhaps he underestimated her worldliness and respect for those that came before her. She knew what he was and what he was about. She didn't care about the deception, she cared about business.

Now that the frog-man was alone with his host, he could speak freely.

"Power" he said simply as he took another sip of the drink. "I've been away from this world for some time Mistress Kara. A week off for someone your age is a year off for someone of mine." Hype was being quite candid about his vulnerable status. He was orders of magnitude stronger than the average shinobi, but he was not aiming to compete with the average shinobi. The paragons of combat in this world could put his generation to shame. He never forgot how that blonde disciple of Honiko looked so young and yet terrified half the Crimintern Forum. If he were to keep up with the youth of today, he'd need to rely on more than his aging tricks of the past. Certain abilities he once possessed had been whittle down to a mere nub and if he were to rebuild his criminal empire then he'd need to rekindle the fire with some new wood.

"This Sito Homa still burns...but it requires fuel...an offering Hmmm? I was informed that you are well connected to several power centers. Through your ties with the Hidden Villages and your unrivaled ingenuity, you have more knowledge and access to......Enlightenment....than anyone else. At least....anyone that isn't already beholden to backward concepts such as 'national interest,' 'peace,' and 'religious fanaticism.'"

Hype was now playing to what he assumed were Kara's biases. He knew that Kara retained good relations with the hidden villages. Why not? They were a source of revenue and protection. That didn't mean she slavishly acted in their interests. If Hype read her correctly, she likely held contempt for the way some shinobi blindly followed their Kage into death. She had lost her husband to military adventurism and the old man speculated that she might prefer to deal with an agent who was more focused on himself rather than some grand political vision. The old man held the glass in one hand and gestured wildly like a scholastic teacher.

"......Mmmm....I do not ask this thing lightly of you Mistress Kara. You will find my expertise in martial affairs to be quite useful. I'm sure you have a robust defense network but is it enough? As someone who once had an Empire I can tell you...they will never stop coming for what is rightfully yours. Hmmm. They will chip away at you......or they will take it all in one go.......Every bit helps my dear. If you give me what I desire then my skill and experience are yours. Call upon me whenever you wish and I will answer with a century's worth of fury"

Hype's smile weathered and was replaced with a stoic stare. He was deathly serious. If she chose to go into business with him, then what few enemies still dared challenge her would soon learn that the rumors were true.
    Kara
    Kara

Character File

Post by Kara Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:57 pm

Kara was pleased at Hype’s request, it meant she was meeting with someone who had some semblance of both taste and knowledge of who they were dealing with. She went and poured him a generous glass and gave him a smile as he took the glass with both hands. In a lot of ways the man was somewhat childlike; his physical size was most notable, and then of course the non assuming way he spoke and moved. But Kara knew better than to fall prey to that trap. To someone as naive as Mai the man may appear harmless, but history told a different story. In his prime he had been the talk of the soccer scene, a world renowned athlete. There was little a man of such renown could not obtain, and she should know. And where it wasn’t written down, her brilliant mind pieced together the rest of the story from the rumors she’d heard. This man was dangerous, and she’d do well to keep that in mind when entertaining him.

Her suspicions about his prowess were all but confirmed when he answered her question with a single word - power. “A man who knows exactly what he wants.” It was her only comment as he further explained his request and his offer in return. She saw the seriousness in his stare as he offered his services to her, and she honored that seriousness by sitting in silence and pondering for a few minutes as she sipped her own drink. Her mind whirled with possibilities as she sat and finished the last few precious drops from her glass. He said he wanted power, who didn’t? What he hadn’t said was exactly what kind of power, and more specifically he hadn’t asked for her to create him anything, which was more often what people approached her with. Some grand design or other, a mechanical monstrosity or some new type of weapon. She had fulfilled requests such as those frequently in the past, for a price. Although this man that sat in front of her seemed to understand what her real price was.

And it was never money.

She had money by the boatloads. She had more money than any single entity on the planet, probably more than most of them combined, money was not something she wanted. If she ever ran out, she could always make more. True power was not wealth, it was influence. Favours.

“Kara.”

She looked mournfully at her empty glass as she said her name aloud, rising from her seat and moving to the liquor cabinet to pour herself another. “Call me Kara. The title is reserved for more formal occasions. It sounds a tad severe don’t you think? And seeing as you and I are about to become good friends, I see no need for formality or severity.” She carefully replaced the crystal stopper on the decanter and then turned to face Hype once more. “Care for another?” If he indicated he wanted another drink she would refill his glass and then move to the chaise lounge once more, if not she would just sit and enjoy her own.

“You have a way with words, Gou Zhuan. And flattery will get you everywhere. Since you know so much about what I find valuable, I’m sure you’re also aware of my less. . . savory connections. While I make it a point to entertain everyone, not everyone is so easily or warmly entertained.” Kara ran a single finger down the length of her metal forearm for emphasis. She wanted Hype to understand what he was offering. “As far as I understand there is still some group or individual seeking to destroy my empire, and more specifically to destroy me. A less jaded and intelligent person would have let that fear die with the terrorists who attacked Moonspire.” She would stand and walk to the large windows, staring out at the city below as she continued speaking. “I can make anything. With my resources I can wipe out entire nations, save clans from extinction, I can make any wish a reality. And that frightens people. Frightened people are usually cowardly and idiotic, and make terrible choices. Such as what occurred at Moonspire. If I call on you, it will be because of dire need.” She let the sentiment sink in as she stared out at the city below. The sun had risen to just the right angle that made it appear she was hovering over a sea of stars, glittering below her into infinity. This happened twice a day, and she enjoyed taking it in when she could. Once in the morning, and once at night just as the sun hid below the horizon and the moon reflected its rays.

Turning to face Hype once more, her face matched the somber tone of her voice. “Shall I create something for you then? Or are you in search of something else? I can give you a tour of my facilities if you wish, I have many things in development currently if you’re interested.”

Mistress Kara:
    Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin
    Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin

Post by Gou Zhuan al-Sannyasin Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:42 pm

Hype's half closed eye raised a hair when his host uttered her own first name. She insisted that he call her Kara as opposed to the more formal "Mistress Darhk" that meant they were officially on a first name business. She now affirmed the fact that they were now more than business-acquittances but perhaps friends. This meant that Hype's pitch had been successful and he was now one step closing to acquiring his much needed fuel. He finished the rest of the '43 and stared at the mesmerizing glass. It was fine quality, not just for drinking but for going upside someone's head. When she asked him if he wanted another drink, the old man's weathered stare was slowly replaced with a warm and gleeful smile. It was no less sinister than the last. He bobbed his head up and down before handing her the empty glass. When she returned with it filled, he sipped from it once more. He had no intention of being rude, but now that he got what he came for, he doubted he'd enjoy lengthy conversation with his new friend. She didn't seem to be spiritual nor a sports enthusiast. Perhaps they'd enjoy each other's company merely by working in each other vicinity. They competed on different fields but their game was the same and as of this moment, they were playing for the same team.

Despite his lack of interest in prolonged conversation, it seemed as though he had pushed the right buttons. He wasn't a natural at charm, but it was hard not to pick up a few tricks in speechcraft when you were as old as he was. Kara walked over to the window and confessed that there were indeed still those who harbored delusions of taking her empire. He could not disagree with her statement. He shrugged and waved his hand away as casually as he would dismiss her foes.

"You have cornered the world Kara. A cornered animal is a frightened animal. And it fights twice as fiercely." Hype drank deeply. He allowed the bitter aroma of the alcohol to fill his nostrils and coat his obscenely long tongue. "But it is an animal nonetheless. He spied the metal arm that was attached to her shoulder. This change was not purely cosmetic he realized. Perhaps the same Mockingbird faction that had tormented her late husband had made a play for her. "But it is an animal nonetheless." The implication was clear. She would not be troubled by any rabid beasts in the future. Hype would put them down for her and he'd do so joyfully. Assuming of course, the power she offered met his standard. Speaking of which, he was curious to see what she had to give.

"A tour would be splendid" he said with a gracious bow of his head. "If you are free tomorrow at noon, I'd love to inspect your wares. I have a discerning eye I'm afraid and my measures do not come cheap" he was going to be honest with his new friend. If she had nothing of note, he could not in good-faith promise his protection. Hype's attention would be diverted elsewhere. He was confident that she had something he would be interested in though. Once he was done with his drink, he'd place his empty glass down at the nearest surface and bow. "I hope I have not taken up too much of your time.....I'd like to give you time to prepare your facilities and these old bones are weary. If you have a recommendation for any good hookah lounges in your city, my soul would very much appreciate it" Hype chuckled to himself at his own lie. He was not in the least tired but he felt as though Kara was a busy woman and she'd likely rather spend time tending to her empire than entertaining a grandpa such as himself.

If Kara gave him a recommendation, he'd accept it and see himself out via the same way he came. Before he departed, he'd say: "Until we meet again. May your bowl remain full and your mind level"

[Exit]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:05 pm