Welcome Guest! You have made 50 posts!

Join Our Discord! : Here After high demand from everyone, we've finally opened a Discord Chat Server for the site!
We are an AU Naruto Roleplay Forum!

2 posters

The weapons master and the smith (C rank mission)

Okane
    Okane

The weapons master and the smith (C rank mission) Empty The weapons master and the smith (C rank mission)

Post by Okane Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Mission Name: Patrol the Miracle Oasis
    Mission Type: Patrol for small time bandits
    Mission Rank: C
    Mission Goal: Discourage bandit activity in the region
    Description: Patrol around the Miracle Oasis for any bandit activity in the ruins. Use a show of force if you have to but don't kill anyone. There will be 3 bandits (D rank stats no jutsu) armed with an assortment of rusted pipes. (D rank) Discourage any criminal activity they might be pursuing.
    Payment: 15,000
    Requirements: Genin+
    Okane
    Okane

The weapons master and the smith (C rank mission) Empty Re: The weapons master and the smith (C rank mission)

Post by Okane Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Okane had gotten up before sunrise and paid some poor drunken souls in wine to drag his contraptions to the edge of the village by the main gate. It left the three men worn, sweating and panting to the point of almost sober but he wouldn't need to do this again. He would just keep them outside the village. If anyone stole them from the famous Grand Merchant they knew someone would be sent after them. It would take either a fool or someone new to the village to cross him in such a way. Or someone powerful enough that they would have no use for them anyway. Either way Okane was far to busy today to bother with such thoughts. He could always make more of these cheap devices if he so desired. For now he had set to work on combining the three. They wouldn't go any faster but they would hold more weight and maintain their speed and that was his goal after all. He combined them with some left over wood he had to make three separate beams holding the three flat surfaced wood blocks together firmly. Nailing them down on each log to create a semblance before nailing cargo nets down between all the logs. Using some left over rope he would tie all the sails to one rudder for turning. It would be a slow turning device but it would do what he wanted.

He had hauled out his newly crafted Demon katana and Demon wakizashi out with him. A rank S tier hardness Ebony blades with black cloth wrapped handles. Their make was without question a tier above anything that could be found in the every day market. Embedded into the handle was a carving of the silver head of a Stag. Large horns tied together in a crisscrossed ribbon. All very fine and detailed. The symbol Okane had made for his brand. The scabbard itself was plain black with silver wrapping up it like vines. A pride of the crafter. Still for now Okane had stashed those in a chest on the boat and had a half dozen water barrels and a half dozen wooden barrels loaded up as well. Each barrel a ten gallon barrel so small enough to transport but enough there to last him a while. However he wasn't heading out just yet. Instead he had hammered up a small sign next to his sizeable sand skimmer. Making sure it was in there nice and solid before going to sit in the shade of the sails with some water and food also stored in the chest.

"Seeking travel companion to and from the Miracle Oasis. Must be of at least genin rank."

Renown: 4600
    Ryo: 2,064,100
    Stats:
    • Strength: C
    • Constitution: C
    • Stamina: B
    • Speed: D
    • Coordination: A
    • Intelligence: A
    • Perception: A

Link to Character Updates: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3029-okane-tomi-updates#23588
    Link to Character Application: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3005-tomi-okane
    Link to Known Techniques: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3029-okane-tomi-updates#23588
    Kensai
    Kensai

Village : Minor Nation

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Kyujutsu, Sensory, Futon
    Class: A
    Ryo:

The weapons master and the smith (C rank mission) Empty Re: The weapons master and the smith (C rank mission)

Post by Kensai Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:38 pm

The desert could have swallowed me whole, eh Otosan? It probably should have. I was just a kid when you sent me out there, but I guess you saw something inside of me. You know I’d be fine...or at leastI assume you did. I guess it’s equally possible that you just assumed I’d die there. That’s a disturbing thought.

Ken Tanahashi knew the desert better than anyone. He had learned its constantly changing topography and passed its trials when he was a fourteen year old boy, sent out to fend for himself until he was able to become stronger and return. Two years alone in the desert made him somewhat of an expert, and it was also a place where he had come to feel comfortable. He took out his white linen robe, his favourite for travelling and keeping cool, and affixed the quiver of arrows upon his hip, shouldering his Kusurigama and his Yami as he prepared to head out on a bit of an adventure to clear his head.

Things had been rough for the Samurai, living in the slums of Sunagakure wasn’t exactly the most glamourous thing someone could hope for, and he still felt naked without his sword, but he had managed to take a few jobs from the village, made a little money, and met a lovely bowyer who had sold him his bow. It wasn’t the greatest bow in the world, but to him it was everything. It was a link back to his past and something that had really put him back on the upswing in his life. He had felt pride in himself again and in his work, and it was driving him to better himself and  make the best of his situation. The Bowyer had mentioned a craftsman in town who might be able to make him a sword, and Ken’s intention was to save up money and meet this “Okane” eventually, but to do that he needed to find work.

On this day, it would seem, finding work would be easier than usual. As he was making his way he saw a sign posted and a man sitting by some kind of contraption, waiting. He was looking for someone to go with him to the Miracle Oasis, an area he had familiarized himself with during his travels, but the issue he faced was that the man was looking for a ninja. Ken frowned briefly, but with his bow weapons and his limited knowledge of chakra techniques, mostly sensory, he might still be of use to the man. He walked up to the odd contraption and looked it over briefly, curious as to its purpose, but more or less being able to figure it out. It was some kind of sand cart that wasn’t drawn by animals, but that was the extent of his knowledge on the subject. He was quite curious as to how it worked.

“Pardon me, Sir. I see you’re looking for a companion...I apologize that I am not ranked in your ninja system, but as a Samurai...or a former Samurai I suppose...I should be able to meet your needs.” He waited for the man to acknowledge him, noting he had snacks and drink on him, which instinctively made Ken thirsty as he took a drink from his water skin.

(20 exp)

Post by Okane Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 pm

Okane would let his head fall back as he sat into a chair he had personally bolted down to the center log by the rudder controlling the currently rolled up sails. It was hot out but the large parasol strapped to the back of the chair was actually rather well placed and provided shade over all of him. Keeping the sun from burning his precious skin. Still he hadn't noticed the man approaching him at all. It wasn't until the man spoke that Okane casually glanced to let his jade eyes settle on the man. White hair and armed. Interesting. Though the quality of that bow was painful to look at. He could of course make something of much better quality. The wood was worn as was the bow string and they had done a shit job on the arrows. Likely to fly crooked those were. Nothing about this man suggested he had lived a life of luxury. If anything he looked like he had a hard life. Something about those eyes just seemed to invite trouble. Like he wanted to dive into battle or even thrived on it. Jade eyes would take him in and contemplate. He did have just something for this.

He would hop up out of his chair. He was dressed in blue jeans tucked into his usual steel toed blacksmith boots. His two belts crisscrossed over his waist. The one on bottom had a kanji for Tomi and the golden plated one on top had the kanji for Okane. His top was actually a simple V-neck shirt for once. The buttons undone and the thin material slightly billowing in the wind. Silver silk felt nice against the skin in this heat. It breathed well. A pair of thin black riding gloves covered his hands and his Onyx circlet with the small curved horns curving back into his dark hair adorned his head and kept his hair back. He looked like some kind of lord aboard a ship and in some ways he likely was. His eyes narrowed as he reached into a small container next to the main pillar for the sail. Shifting through the documents there before selecting the appropriate one. Holding it up as he eyed it. Speaking while reading the document.

"I have here a mission paper asking for a patrol of the Oasis I am going to. They will likely pay you for your time if you have a look around while I gather supplies. If you think you can handle yourself in a fight.....Hmm." Okane would eye the bow again. He wasn't fully certain it wouldn't snap. Though the man called himself a Samurai. They used katana he recalled. He happened to have one...."Tell me, can you handle yourself in a fight good Sir? With a sword I mean."

Stats:

Link to Character Updates: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3029-okane-tomi-updates#23588
    Link to Character Application: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3005-tomi-okane
    Link to Known Techniques: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3029-okane-tomi-updates#23588
    Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 am

Ken gritted his teeth as the clearly wealthy man began to look him over from his position literally above him, his fists automatically tightening on the handle of the sickle part of his kusurigama. This man was judging him before he had even given him a chance to see what he could do. He could see the look in his face as he glanced over Ken’s bow, which he was extremely proud of, and the anger inside of him burned brighter. He imagined he was red in the face at this point, a stark contrast against his white robes, and he was about to walk away when the man in front of him began to speak. His words, of course, didn’t necessarily make Ken any happier, but they were about to give him an outlet for all of his rage as the man questioned his skills in a fight or with a sword.

“You’ve already dismissed me, and that’s just like people like you. I am one of the oldest lineages in this land, the last of the line of Tanahashi, a family of Samurai. My father taught me footwork from the time I could stand, trained me with sword and bow since I could hold the boken, I was a stronger warrior than any of these useless “ninja” by the time I was ten years old. When I was fourteen my father took me into the desert and told me I had to survive, and one day if I was strong enough I could come back here and inherit his mantel. Our bloodline is older than the sands in this desert. I survived for two years by myself in this desert, and spent the next eight years protecting a prestigious caravan from bandits and ninja, which are the same thing, who tried to rob them. I am a hardened killer, and I am a master with the blade, bow, and any weapon you put in my hands...Does that answer your question?”

The Samurai felt the urge once more to simply turn around and leave. He could easily find another place to make money, there were lots of missions available, but he wanted to give this gaudy man a chance to defend himself, he suppose he owed him that much after his little rant. He took out his bow and fired it into the sky, causing a bird to fall between the two of them as he picked the arrow up and plucked it free, putting the bird in his sack.

(40 exp)

Post by Okane Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:39 am

Okane would watch the vein in the mans neck pulse as his fists tightened. Oh how interesting. He had something on his mind and he wished to speak about it in full. Okane would raise an eyebrow as his thoughts were told to him. Oh now that happened far too often. So many thought they knew the inner workings of his genius mind. He would refrain from letting out a sigh of irritation himself though. Nothing would be gained simply by arguing with a stranger. He spoke of qualifications at least. Protecting entire caravans likely meant protecting one merchant wouldn't be so difficult. Still Okane would watch as he plucked a bird out of the sky so passively. Taking life quickly of a beast at least. Okane would let his free hand rise to stroke his chin. This one was proud and full of anger. Likely to snap easily at anyone. Such aggression could be useful if directed. Still Okane would speak calmly and quietly with a smile. His words hypnotic like silk on the ear.

"Is that what I am doing master Tanahashi? Last of his lineage. Come, please. Board my craft and let us speak without the need for raising our voices and causing a scene yes?"

Okane would turn and move gracefully over to his seat and settle in once more. Appearing to look comfortable despite the angry killer so close to him. More capable than killing him by far. He would cross his right ankle over his left knee and lean back. One hand resting on his right knee and tapping it while the other rested on the arm of the chair. If the man would board his ship he would notice it was lighter than it appeared. The mission notice would be left in Okane's lap. Okane would smile and tilt his head. "May I offer you some fresh water? A small sandwich?" He would indicate with his left hand in the direction of the cooled chest at the front. Despite the mans answer Okane would smile and appear relaxed. He would watch with emerald eyes.  

"You assume I think I know all there is to know about you from your appearance but I am not unaccustomed to riches beneath the dust. I am Tomi Okane. The man who placed a river through the center of this village and created green houses. My crafts are unmatched and where I go prosperity thrives. However no one outside of this nation knows of myself or my family. Do you know how I open doors? Part of it is a demonstration of my abilities as you just did. The other is how I present myself. As you well know very few people see beyond your cover. Not knowing the pages of history within. They see a dust covered man with so much anger dwelling within himself. A simple bow and simple arrows on his person. Oh but what if I could tell you I call them simple because I can do so much greater? Check in the other chest and tell me what you think of my newest art will you?"
    Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:42 pm

“I’m not trying to cause a scene. I was merely giving you my qualifications. I don’t like the way that my people are treated by those who see us as lesser than them. I have zero money to my name, just the scraps that the village throws at me for weeding the garden. What can someone who has never had nothing understand of the feeling of being reunited with an old friend, like this bow, when you’ve become so accustomed to having absolutely nothing. This bow is as much a part of who I am as my arms and legs, my white hair and golden eyes. This means the world to me, and makes me feel human again, something that people who look down upon me for being poor wish to take away from me.” There was no anger in Ken’s voice, he wasn’t yelling. He was calm and collected with each word, trying to make a man of station see the world he came from.

He stood on his craft, politely declining the food and drink, thinking of the bird he had shot down which would feed him later, and the waterskin at his hip. He didn’t like to take things from people, he didn’t like people to treat him like a charity case. Perhaps this was one of his greatest flaws, but he liked to be independent, even if it was independently poor and hungry. As the man continued to speak he revealed his identity, which much to Ken’s surprise, was the man the old Bowyer had told him to come and talk too. He eased up his tension, calming himself fully as he looked a man he wanted to have dealings with in the future. He spoke of his accomplishments, which seemed to be good things, and spoke of Ken once more.

“I am angry because after my ten years away from my home, I come back to see everything changed, my house demolished, and to find out that the ninja killed my family. I then had everything I owned besides the clothes on my back stolen from me. I see this happen to the poor so often that it is impossible not to be angry about it. I am not taking it out on you, I am just trying to inform you of where it is I come from.” He talked about his bow once more and a flash of distaste crossed Ken’s face but when he was directed to the chest he didn’t fight it, he was very curious to see what the man had created as he had been informed of his skill.

Opening the chest nearly brought tears to Ken’s eyes. It wasn’t because the contents of the chest were beautiful, which of course they were, but it was what they meant to Ken. He reached inside instinctively, picking up first the Katana, holding the Saya and the Tsuka, which was expertly wrapped over a beautiful dark metal, delicately yet carefully in his hands. He drew the blade just enough to fully expose the Habaki and the blade just beneath, catching the glint of the sun off of the metal. It was breathtaking to view such a thing after so long. When he finally drew the blade it felt like his arm was whole again, as though something that was missing for so long had come back to him. At this point he did tear up, it was impossible not too. He knew the blade wasn’t his, but it was something that was so beautiful to him specifically, and so important to him, that he couldn’t possibly hide his emotion.

Through short breath as he tried to refrain from sobbing he looked back towards the smith, returning the blade to its Tsuka and placing it back in its chest. He imagined the Wakazashi, judging by the length of the blade compared to the Katana, was just as beautiful. “I’m sorry for showing such weakness...I haven’t held a sword in over a year. This is my life...this is the thing in the world that means the most to me. These blades are truly beautiful. The old bowyer told me to come meet you, and I’m glad I have. One day, I’d like to purchase a blade from you. But as you already know, I have no money to my name. That’s why I need this work, I was saving to come visit you...to feel like myself again.”

(60 exp)

Post by Okane Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:11 pm

Hmm nostalgia was it? The bow serving to help connect the man with everything he had lost. The refused treats were to be expected he supposed. After all this man clearly hated the wealthy and Okane clearly fell into that class. The world had done the white haired man wrong and so he hated it and everyone in it. Only those who had suffered as he did would understand. Since Okane had been born with a silver spoon as his weapon he was the enemy. Truly it was like watching a walking protagonist teacher. Not the protagonist himself but some worldly man that would teach them and be softened by them. Not that Okane thought of himself as some fantasy protagonist. Okane was a realist. A simple man but an educated one that learned how to make his fortune all over again and rapidly. But he could use allies. He could use someone to back up his crafts and build him up when others inevitably came to break Okane down. If this Samurai was as capable as he seemed this would be a highly useful arrangement. He just needed to see how to make it happen when he was starting viewed as an enemy.

He would smile a little as a wave of emotions seemed to wash over the young man. His hand shifting from his knee to prop up his chin crooked between his thumb and two fingers. He thought it was rather sweet how much this little moment meant to the man. Just holding his crafts was enough for this. Of course it didn't have much to do with the fact that it was something Okane had crafted so much as it was holding a sword again. It seemed to fit rather well on the man. Like it naturally belonged there. So now this was his opening. He needed to be careful not to word this like charity though. The man didn't like charity it seemed. Well it was time for some well practiced customer service. Okane would rise from his seat and move across the wood with flawless balance before letting his hand rest on the mans shoulder. Entering a very dangerous range with that sword there. Not that it would have mattered. A simple touch and a soft smile. Acting like a friend and understanding. When he spoke his voice was almost mesmerizing.

"So much potential was ripped away from you. I could see how one might grow to easily hate people in my position. Certainly I could never understand your pain. Yet I don't wish to ignore it either. I want to help people. I want to use my education and build a better world. But my mind can only do so much. I don't have the skill or power to do this alone. Take the mission and go with me while I gather supplies. Use those swords for the mission if it pleases you. It would be my honor as a craftsman to have them used in a true Samurai's hands. Think of this as a job interview for both of us. For me to see if your skill is strong enough to help me take on the world, and for you to know me as more than my money. But as a person."

Stats:

Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:31 pm

Use the swords for the mission...

The words didn’t quite seem real, but at the same time they made sense to him. He was more useful with the blades, and he assumed this man realized that. “I don’t hate you. You’re not representative of an entire class of people. I can appreciate where you’re coming from. I want to make the world a better place. My education was with weapons, survival techniques, art. These are the tools I have at my disposal...it might benefit the two of us if we worked together to achieve this momentous goal.” He didn’t have to think about the offer. He took the Katana back from the chest and worked the Saya into his Obis before doing the same with the Wakazashi. He always tied it so that the weapons of his trade would fit perfectly, just like he had been taught by his father all those years ago.

He ran his fingers through his hair and pulled out another cigarette, putting it to his lips and lighting it as he inhaled deeply. “I actually like people like you, you give the rich a better name. You understand your status and the power that comes with it, and you use that to actively improve the world. That’s the mark of a truly good person. I’ll protect you, as I protected my former employer for eight years. Maybe I can even help you achieve your goal one day...but even the longest journey starts with just one step...” He chuckled to himself, mirroring the words his father had said to him before leaving him deep in the desert for ten years.

Would you be proud of this Otosan? This is a good man...I feel like he and I can truly help people.

“I’ve spent a long year alone, I’m ready to do more; I’m ready to be more.” He took the previously offered drink and emptied it into his waterskin, which had been near empty, and looked at the platform he was standing on. He assumed this was a kind of vehicle, and it looked like the man planned to take it out into the desert, judging by the positions of the supplies. His curiosity at the thing became engaged once more as he wondered how such a marvel worked. The Ninja had odd magics that he didn’t understand, but this man was no ninja. He could sense no potent chakra signature in the man. “So how do you make something like this move? How does it all work? I’ve never seen such a unique...cart before. No animals to draw it? Is it run by chakra?”

Chakra: 109.5/110
    (80 exp)

Post by Okane Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:55 am

Okane would let an amused smile play out on his face. A true paladin this one. One filled with a sense of duty and honor as well as a deep hatred for those who would oppose it. No, A paladin in the traditional sense wasn't accurate. This one wasn't exactly a Samurai either. He didn't serve a lord so much as himself and the people. He had a sense of honor still. A code really and yet he was fully prepared to cross swords with anyone who would try to force anything upon him. A ronin for hire but only to those who could uphold to his code. Such a unique spirit. Okane rather did like puzzles. He hadn't come across one in some time that he couldn't figure out but this would take up some of his time. The Ronin was unlike many he had seen and thus a unique specimen. If Okane were to tread carefully enough he might one day build up a nation as he desired but also suiting the ideals of this man. Making his unique position on life the position of an entire village. Either honor would be held in the highest regard or it would let blood drown the streets.

Still the question would be posed to him now that the introductions were done. How did this craft function? Certainly it wasn't based on chakra after all. Okane didn't have enough reserves to manage anything of the sort alone after all. Instead he would chuckle and move away from his well armed new friend. Settling into his chair once more. This time a twinkle of mischief in his green eyes. His hand resting on a lever slightly behind him and a small crank to the left of him. Steering and speed so to speak. "Oh dear me nothing of the sort. This vehicle runs upon nature. A simple science that only works on water and on the sand. You see both surfaces split apart easily allowing for the slim and smooth wood to pass through it without very much to any resistance at all. These are only the first prototypes put together of course but with the flat desert there isn't much to break the wind. Allowing it to act as a source of pull or push upon the sails. Do hold onto that rope next to you would you? I wouldn't want you falling off."

With that Okane would wink and begin to undo the crank allowing the sails to slowly unfurl and then suddenly billow outwards as the craft lurched forward. Struggling with the weight at first but as soon as the sails fully caught the wind they began to gain speed. The large three part sand skimmer quickly building up to C rank speed as Okane adjusted the rudder to direct them through the pass and then out onto open desert. Their speed almost lifting them off the ground as they began making good time. Another testimate to Okane's genius.

Stats:

Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:51 pm

The explanation somewhat made sense to Ken, but realistically he didn’t care that much. He grabbed onto the rope as he was instructed and when the skiff started moving a crooked half smile crossed his face. The wind tore through his robes, whipping the hem of them back and forth as he gazed out across the dunes. Okane, after the initial assessment of rich man and therefore bad, had a generally kind look on his face. Ken was sure that he was generally plotting something, but Master Suzuki, the merchant he had previously worked for, was also always planning something. It was a part of that lifestyle, they had to keep their minds active and constantly have plans to keep their minds sharp. It wasn’t like a little bit of trust in a man who had been kind to him would be a terrible thing.

As they sailed across the desert, Ken could real the relatively dead zone of chakra signatures, an odd sensation after being in a village with a lot of ninja activity. He wondered what kind of opposition they would face if they found any. Would Ninja bother to come out and try to rob this man? He supposed it was definitely possible, maybe who were hired by rival merchants...if that was a thing in the merchant world. The majority of the people he had killed on behalf of Master Suzuki over the years didn’t get a chance to tell them why they were attacking before Ken would cut them down. It wasn’t really his place to ask questions anyway, he was a contracted killer in the purest sense of the term.

“So are you expecting to run into a lot of resistance out in the dunes? I’ve spent a lot of time in the desert and generally found the presence of other people to be quite a rare occurrence. Of course, it was generally an unwanted one, but still. What are you here for? And are people going to be targeting you for it?” He tried to gather as much information as he could, considering that he wouldn’t be able to properly protect the man unless he had as much knowledge as possible. Things didn’t always go as planned, and Ken knew that better than most, but at the same time it didn’t hurt to be prepared.

The hand that wasn’t holding a rope was never far away from resting on the Katana, an instinctive thing that felt like home position for the man. It was like welcoming back an old friend, more than that even, and he was very grateful for that...

Post by Okane Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:40 pm

Okane would steer them with some considerable skill as his hands had experience with feeling the finer things during his crafts. Steering at these speeds with very little in the way of rocks or other obstacles was a simple thing a child could do. Even in this heat the strong breeze was cooling for him as his velvet shirt fluttered a little. Once they were out on the open plains it seemed like there was little more than silence apart from the sound of them skimming along the sand. He would feel out the adjustments in the wind on the sail to keep them going at a steady pace. It would be a minute before they got to where they were going even at that speed. Still his Samurai companion would speak up and Okane would listen. A curious mind at least. That was good. Likely bread from suspicion for sure. As was an accurate emotion in this particular desert. The crime rates being what they were. Still they were on a fairly straight path now and the winds were holding consistent. Which meant he didn't need to be as attentive to driving. He would click a switch on the rudder and it would lock in place. His hand slowly removing from it just in case. This was its first proper distance test after all.

As soon as he was certain the rudder and sails were not budging he would stand up. Holding onto a rope as he moved forward along the sand skimmers main beam. Moving to stand next to Kensai as he did so. "Good of you to ask master Tanahashi. Once we crest this next dune if you look to the east you might be able to pick it out among the sand dunes. There is an ancient Oasis there. Runes of an old civilization next to it as well. It is in those runes that some rather nasty creatures and even nastier individuals are rumored to reside. People and things that will take advantage of anything undefended for certain. I am only coming here because the properties in its water and sand are rather unique in comparison to its surroundings. My scientific theories require those. I will be able to make a glass stronger than even those swords you are holding now. That said the mission from the village requires no one dies. While I understand that is more difficult than some might be able to manage something tells me I can hold confidence in you."

Stats:

Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:12 pm

It made Ken a little bit nervous seeing the man play with the pieces of the skip, but he kept a look of calm as Okane spoke. He told Ken of the Oasis, which was an area that he had encountered during his two years living in the sands. They had kept him alive, though it wasn’t easy, and he had greatly appreciated their existence when he believed he was going to die alone in the desert without water. He nodded his acknowledgement of the area before hearing Okane mention that he wasn’t to kill anyone, which caused Ken to scowl. It was unfortunate that he wouldn’t be able to get a true taste of what the swords were able to do, but he was positive he could find creative ways to test them otherwise.

“Very well, Master Smith, I will be...careful with my assault. I’m sure you will be able to easily identify the objects you are here to procure. I have vast knowledge of this desert, after having lived in its expanse for two years, and happen to know the dangers that lurk within this oasis. It is a place that can take life as easily as it can give it. I will not allow any harm to befall you...and use temperance.” He chuckled slightly at saying this, hand not moving from its resting position on the katana as he imagined the ways he would defeat opponents with it if he couldn’t kill them. There were many ways to stop a man in his tracks without killing him, after all, and Ken didn’t often have the time to employ such tactics, so it could be fun to try new things.

(120 exp)

Post by Okane Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Okane would smile before following along the rope carefully to return to his seat. The man held power in his hand but not the same as what Okane was seeking. The man would be physically more powerful than most given time with a ready willingness to kill. He would easily pick a hill and hold it. Ready to die on it. Such a man could have use but investing in them was always a risk. Such rash behavior rarely ended well. Okane would return to his driving position and adjust it as needed with a couple of levers and locks released. If the man held those hills though Okane could make them mountains. Together they would have great power. Okane would watch as the samurai across from him let his white hair flutter across tanned skin in the wind that whipped at the cloth sails. Standing near the helm of the ship with one hand resting on the hilt of the two blades designed for each other. His posture was strong and those eyes had seen enough battle for survival to be hard enough to help the both of them get by. This was just another man to the untrained eye but to Okane this was a guardian. Devoted to his believes and a man with that kind of devotion was not one that was easy to put down. It brought a small smile to Okane's lips.

The large craft itself would not easily go unnoticed. It's sails whipped as Okane turned them with the rudder towards the water front itself. His other hand adjusting how much of the sails pulled them at what speed. Allowing him a greater sense of control as they drew near until he tossed an anchor out the back allowing it to drag them to a stop next to the water front. He would feel it finally jerk to a complete stop before the sails were fully rolled up. A series of small cliffs had naturally formed around the area allowing for the majority of the desert to be held at bay. Keeping an opportunity for the water source here to remain untainted. They water itself was massive enough for a small civilization to live comfortably upon its shores. And about a quarter mile to their right the remnants of that forgotten people stood in the forms of mostly crumbled houses made of clay or stone. However some people did stand in the door ways. Downtrodden and hungry by the looks of them. Hardened men and women who saw opportunity.

However beyond the opportunity the majority of them saw an armed samurai. Few of them thought themselves decent fighters and had no interest in fighting anyone capable. Many would simply watch for the time being but it would be temporary. Okane would pull some small machine he had aboard the craft with great effort before flicking a switch after connecting a tube to the first of the barrels for sand. It would whir to life as sand began to get sucked in. A similar device would be attached to about ten feet of pipe before being attached to a water barrel. The whirring was loud and would draw attention but it was so much faster than doing it all by hand. Okane would take a breath once both began to do their work. His eyes shifting to the ruins as the interested eyes seemed to almost glow with greed.

"I doubt we will be left to our own devices long. We will leave behind the food and water when we go but I can't promise they won't fight over it. I need about ten minutes to finish. No doubt the locals will have inquiries before the end of that time. "

Stats:

Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35 pm

Ken couldn’t say that he was overly upset when the craft came to its stop. He wasn’t accustomed to moving on such a thing and it had been an odd sensation to say the least. He watched the man toy with his contraptions on the deck of the craft, confused but impressed at how smoothly everything seemed to go together. It was a loud device and drew the attention of several of the locals, who would look from the contraption, to Okane and then to Ken and his weapons. It was just like before, he was always a deterrent. People would think twice when they saw someone like him, especially if they carried more than one weapon. If a man carried a sword, there was a chance he didn’t know how to use it, and that he was more a danger to himself than his opponents, but when he carried multiple weapons the chances of him being competent with at least one of them increased.

“Ten minutes isn’t that much time. I can easily hold them back for that amount of time if needed. It only takes one fool to decide that he’s tougher than me to get all of them going, and I can see a couple of these fine folks are a little twitchy.” He watched as one of them whispered to another near the back of the crowd, who turned to run back towards where Ken assumed a settlement was hidden. He frowned and pulled his bow off of his back, knocking an arrow and drawing back as the people in front of him moved out of the way. None of them wanted to be the target of his display of power as he turned his bow up and released the arrow, watching the arc as it lodged itself into the back of the running man’s thigh, causing him to stop in his tracks and fall to his knees, crying out in agony.

Ken would walk towards the crowd, and they would back off from him. “Bring him back. Nobody leaves. I don’t want to kill you, but I will do anything I have too to insure that everything here goes smoothly. Worry not, we won’t be here long. Cooperate and there will be no further issues.” The man was carried back and brought to him, Ken eyeing his work before swiftly pulling the arrow back out and wiping it off on his robes, putting it back in his quiver. “Someone wrap this up please?” Another of the onlookers brought some cloth and began to bind the wound as Ken positioned himself between the mob and the skiff, hands resting once more on his swords. There were a couple of people with weapons in the crowd, and Ken imagined they were itching to test their worth against the samurai, and claim their prize...only time would tell.

(140 exp)

Post by Okane Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:47 pm

Okane would go about his business of filling his containers with both water and sand. Not enough to threaten the Oasis by even a single percent of course but enough for his crafts. He would hum as he set about his work. Enjoying the peace of not having to look over his own shoulder. With a body guard there he would actually be able to do this rather quickly without having to do much work. Still he would watch as the group sent a runner only to have him felled by a single arrow to the thigh and then dragged back to the group. Okane would frown as truthfully this looked like a hostage situation. The wealthy man coming in with muscle and taking from them with force to enforce them leaving him be. It wasn't along the lines of his goals. He needed to salvage this somehow. Yes they were a danger to him. Any man of wealth knew that flaunting it in front of the poor was asking for trouble. Of course he hadn't expected this many. Maybe a small group but certainly not a great many of them. If this escalated it would go poorly for both parties involved.

Okane would finish up the last of the supplies being gathered. As far as one could tell this patrol mission was likely complete. Still Okane didn't wish to leave it like this. Bullying their way through. Instead he would bodily haul the ice chest full of drink and food off the boat with a thud. Dragging it forward through the sand leaving a trail behind. He was careful not to move to close though. Leaving plenty of room for Kensai to do as he could if he needed to. He was certainly glad he had mentioned not killing anyone. That dressing looked practiced. Like they had to tend to their own wounds often. He would pant a little before turning the blue box and opening the top. Inside were a couple of dozen sandwiches and a great deal of bottled tea and water. Not enough for everyone of course but something. Maybe if they only had half a sandwich each? He had certainly underestimated their numbers.

"My name is Tomi Okane, I apologize for your harsh treatment. However as a part of the apology I will be leaving this food here. When I come back I will bring more. Enough for everyone as I will likely need more material in the future. Kensai, We should leave them be now don't you think?"

Okane was already turning and walking back to the sand skiff. Collecting the small anchor as he did so. He didn't wish to see anything escalate but as soon as they got to full speed there would be no catching up to them. These people didn't seem to have anything like horses. Still Okane would find his seat again and begin to adjust the instruments. Preparing to leave as soon as Kensai would get on board. No need to linger after all. He had what he needed. Though according to his calculations actually getting up to full speed with the added weight would be a painfully slow process.

Stats:

Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:36 pm

The crows managed to stay fairly calm through the rest of the mission’s duration as Okame finished gathering whatever he had come here for. Kensai hadn’t even had to draw the swords that he had been leant for the mission, which was unfortunate as he was looking forward to the chance to use them once more...oh well. He felt for this crowd of people, and realistically he had been one of them once, having lived among these rocks and waters for a short time as he tried to get himself prepared for his ridiculous training set forth by his father. It didn’t make him feel good to put such fear into the destitute, but that was his job for the time being, and he knew that whatever Okane was working on, it would be for the betterment of all. When he looked back and saw Okane bringing the large box of food and drink to the edge of the skiff, he smiled.

Ken would take a sandwich from the container, ignoring as Okane said it was time to go, and walk towards the man whom he had shot. He handed it to the person caring for him. “See that he eats this when he regains consciousness. I apologize for hurting him. I understand your struggle. Tell Master Rin that young Tanahashi came back, and he will make true on his promise to your people soon…” The old woman looked up into his eyes with a bit of recognition at the name as Ken boarded the craft and held on, insuring he would be facing the refugees as the two of them made to leave. He could see the old woman mouthing Ken? before he looked back at Okane. “I am ready to go if you are.”

He had been impressed with Okane’s compassion, giving them what he had, and while it may have seemed a small thing to the man himself, to Ken and the refugees it was something that truly meant a lot. None of them would forget the kindness of the outlander, and Ken would never forget it either as his view on Okane became even more favourable from this seemingly small act of kindness. Life was tough out here in the desert, and anyone who could empathise and try to make it a little easier on the people who had to suffer through that was okay in Ken’s book. It was a stark contrast from the woman whom had travelled with him in their youth and yet still held such contempt for the poor in her heart. He would never understand how someone who had lived in a caravan for so long could be that way.

(160 exp)

Post by Okane Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Okane would steer the ship as it began to pick up speed and head back over the dunes. It had some issue climbing but made up for it with the swiftness it made its way downwards. He had watched the Samurai show some compassion to the man he had wounded and was satisfied with that. It had proven the man was more than a brute. Capable of course but compassionate when it was allowed. Not only that he had completed the mission set out to him without killing anyone. An excellent shot at that. For the beginning Okane was quiet in his seat looking over the dunes and letting the wind carry them quickly back to their destination. A glance back told him if anyone was in pursuit they had little to no chance to catching them. The Samurai was also watching behind them with bow in hand. Okane pitied anyone who thought they might approach them via horseback. As it was likely the only way to catch up to them. They wouldn't even get close with this mans archery skills. Still they were more than halfway to the village when Okane would speak up. Making sure his voice was loud enough to be heard clearly.

"By my calculations if they hadn't started pursuit on horseback by the time we lost sight of the Oasis they won't be capable of catching up. And I didn't see any horses. How do you think that went?"

He would wait for an answer and mull it over as the village began to appear ahead of them. From here they might be able to see the shell of a new construction coming up. Fifteen stories high and towering over everything else. A great large thing with a stag head being attached to the top. The same design as what was on the blades. Okane would smile to himself a little as he adjusted their course to head for the front gates. Already adjusting speed for the road in the cliffs surrounding the village. Speaking once more. "It was a pity that you didn't get to use those swords. However my heart breaks at the idea of taking them back. Instead I have an offer for you. Normally those would sell for a great deal more, and I understand you don't care for charity towards yourself. So I offer this. Join my company. Help us right the wrongs around us and as a signing bonus I will sell you those for thirty thousand even. An affordable price considering. "

Stats:

Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:58 pm

Ken didn’t stop scanning the landscape, knowing that these kinds of areas had ways of tricking the eyes into seeing things that weren’t there, or vice versa, which was why he was being so cautious. Okane asked him how he thought the situation had went, which caused Ken to frown. “Only one person injured, an unfortunate necessity to keep them from running to get more people. I lived among them for a long time when I spent my two years surviving in the desert, and I know that when one runs he brings the warriors with him so that they can raid the unsuspecting people who were there. I could have handled them, but even if I tried not use lethal contact, the removal of limbs can be fatal, especially in a place like this where there are no true medics. Master Rin was someone whom generally tended to the wounded, but her powers weren’t that advanced.”

“I believe all in all everything went about as well as it could have.” The man spoke of how it was a pity that Ken hadn’t been able to use the blades, another frown crossing Ken’s face at this. What would turn that around was the opportunity to work for the man instead, taking the blades at a reduced rate as payment, along with a chance to ideally make the world a better place. Kensai nodded and smiled, still looking across the desert as a tear would roll down his cheek at the kindness of this man. Life often didn’t seem fair, but at times there were people who could truly make it not seem so bad, as though this man had crossed paths with Kensai as a divine reward for his suffering and perseverance.

“I am not a wealthy man, but I will pay you when I am able. I appreciate the offer...and will take you up on it. It would be foolish of me to not ask about what my pay would be, or if there are accommodations. I currently live in a pile of rocks. I own three robes and a blanket. This is the hand that has been dealt to me, and this is why I do what I do. I hope I will prove myself useful...as long as we don’t exploit those in need...”

(180 exp)

Post by Okane Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Okane would nod as he listened. The mans assessment was fair. Truth be told Ken was far more experienced on that side of the coin than Okane was. Okane had never wanted for anything and had nearly tossed out his inheritance strictly from not humbling himself. His youth wasted on parties and the like. Only recently was he venturing into his true talents. His crafts becoming his true goal over pursuits of women and drink. He had spent his years partying it all away while Ken had spent his surviving and struggling to grow stronger. Only now was Okane using his mind in a way that was useful to men like him. Paladins in their own right. Worshiping the art of their skills with weapons where he simply constructed them. Of course questions were to be posed about pay and benefits. He hadn't really prepared to explore that avenue yet as he thought it may take some more convincing. However he wasn't without means to answer the man. He was however without means to properly pay the man. He had used the prospect of a mission to convince the man to go out to the desert with him. The village footing that bill.

Okane would quietly pull the skiff up to where it had been before by the gate. He would of course find help to lug all of the sand and water back to his shop for the time being. More of a storage area soon he supposed as once his building was fully constructed and furnished. There was the main reason for his lack of resources. He had officially set up shop here. However having done so gave him a little wiggle room. Not much but something to work with. So he answered calmly as he hopped down to begin tying the craft off. "The benefits of working for the Stag Emporium are fairly straight forward. Once the building is finished we will supply you with your own apartment that you may decorate as you see fit. Room and board will be paid for and luxury supplied. We also have an apothecary as our Director of research and development so all of your medical needs will be tended to. Aside from that my work from A grade and down will be available at a discount. I can make weapons, armor, virtually anything you can think of. Once we are more established you will receive a small monthly allowance based on your rank within the company. You would be starting as an operative for ten thousand a month and move up from there. However we would have to offer back pay as we only just now started up the company."

Stats:

Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:11 pm

Ken listed to the man speak after they had stopped where he had first found the skiff. He told him of the benefits of the company at first, and then more or less that they had no money for the time being. He didn’t have a place to offer Kensai to live, nor money to pay him with for the time being. Ken sighed and shook his head, clicking his tongue as he thought of what should be done.

“Very well, if that is what you have for the time being, I have a proposition. I am Samurai, my weapons are my life, but in order to show the true badge of my office I need a set of armour. My father’s armour was stolen sometime between when he died and I returned, which would have been my inheritance. My family’s crest is tremendously important, and having a set of armour emblazoned with it would help return honour to my family. I can draw you an image of what the armour and the crest should look like, if you would be willing to make it for me. Make me this and I will help you. When you make money, you can begin paying me with that, but for now this is my true need.”

The samurai would look towards the village. “Such an ugly place. I hate that they destroyed what was here and built this disgusting display of Ninja rule instead. These lands were inhabited by small hamlets, little communities that worked together in harmony, and now it is...this. To think that my home was lost to this monstrosity is truly a depressing thought. I don’t know if you lost anyone to this display of excess and greed, but I lost everyone I cared about. Now I protect those who have nobody. I feel like that’s what we’re trying to achieve, and that is why I will help you.” He would pull out another cigarette from his tin now that they had stopped and light it, inhaling deeply as he allowed his head to swim to try to drown out the dark thoughts. It was almost impossible not to have them, but he had to try.

Don't let the darkness win, eh Otosan?

(200 exp)

Post by Okane Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Okane would turn to talk to a guard momentarily before returning to listen to Ken speak. Interesting. A family armor as a symbol of honor. He had read of such things and heard of them from his teachers. He would fold his arms and tap his chin. The guard sending a messenger off to go and gather a couple of workers with a couple of horses. Likely to drag the entire craft back to Okane's home. All of the materials on it. It was much too bulky and difficult to drive in the narrow streets. Even if they utilized the river it would be slow going. Still Okane would nod slowly before speaking. "I will make it for you from ebony for a reduced cost. For all six pieces I will only charge you a total of sixty thousand. Of which you can either pay me from your earnings from the village or I can take it from your monthly pay until its paid off. The choice will be yours. Your family crest will of course be prominent on each piece but my own mark will be on the inside. If you wish, when you come to claim your armor I will place your crest on each of your weapons as well."

Okane would listen as Ken spoke of the village with disdain. He would frown but note the horses and a camel being brought towards the gate. He would nod for them to begin to harness them to the craft before looking Kensai over slowly. Before looking back to the village. The tallest building being constructed rapidly was his. So his building was one of the things Ken seemed to be sore about. "At first such small settlements would benefit each other. However as population grows so must progress. Many people consider this home now. My crafts and buildings will expand this village even further and provide comfort for an even larger civilization. If this many people were to remain as they are, food and water even shelter would grow scarce. Is it a matter of pride that I reach for the heavens? Certainly. But the shadow I cast over the history of this land will provide for the future. I hope you will come to understand the need for it. For now I have other business to attend. In a week I will be inviting you to your new apartment. Consider how you want to decorate for the time being. This is where we part ways in the meantime." Okane would hold out his hand to shake Kens. Not a firm handshake but an honest one.

Stats:

Kensai
    Kensai

Character File
    Ryo:

Post by Kensai Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:24 pm

Kensai would listen to the man speak on the armour and the crests, telling him he could add his family crest to his swords as well. Ken nodded to this, finding it quite an agreeable thing, and the price not wholly unfair now that he had work. He would have time to think on how he intended to come up with the money, but until them he would simply look forward to the prospect of having his family’s armour back. Okane would then speak in a way that showed off his drive, and in no small part his vanity, which would cause Ken to smirk. He would take another drag of his cigarette, seeing the man hold out his hand before looking down at it and cocking an eyebrow, thinking one last time on what he was about to agree too, before deciding to shake the hand of the man.

“How many Samurai you got on retainer? Nobody in the world takes better care of weapons or armour. I’ll bet you don’t have anyone else like me...Master of the Armoury has a nice ring, doesn’t it? I’ll see you around Okane, I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour...and thank you again. I appreciate having drive again.” With that the samurai would let go of Okane’s hand and make his way back towards the slums and his pile of rocks. He would have to deal with sleeping on stone for a little while longer, but it wasn’t like that was the end of the world; Ken was a survivor after all.

{Exit Thread}
    (220 exp)

Post by Okane Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Okane would watch as the man would release his hand and go about his way with those two blades. It felt like they belonged at least. There was a great deal of power that Okane could offer that man. In due time they would find that he gained from it equally but he saw no issues arising from it. He wanted to change the world and there would be those who resisted him. People who saw profit in the way the world was now. Easier to subjugate the masses if they were starving for instance. With desperation came opportunity. Hopefully with Kensai on his payroll he would be protected from men like that. He would smile as men finished attaching the horses and return to his seat on the craft as they began to slowly tug it along. Making sure not to damage anything in their progress. Okane's right hand would tap on the arm of his chair as he set his jade eyes on the towering building already under construction. The work crew was exceptionally fast. It would only be a matter of time before his legacy stood above anything else in this village. Or at least as high as anything within the nation

Exit thread

Stats:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm