Welcome Guest! You have made 50 posts!

Join Our Discord! : Here After high demand from everyone, we've finally opened a Discord Chat Server for the site!
We are an AU Naruto Roleplay Forum!

2 posters

Land Ho!

Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Mist Jounin
    Mist Jounin

Land Ho! Empty Land Ho!

Post by Kitsuki Kurahasa Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:42 pm

Kitsuki was riding a horse on her way to the Land of Iron. She was used to cold weather but this was a whole different level. The Village Hidden in the Mist was known for its freezing temperatures during the winter, but otherwise its climate was fairly moderate. The Land of Iron on the other hand regularly hit sub-zero temperatures. Kitsuki was wearing a style pure white winter cloak with her regular uniform underneath. She wore a Kirigakure headband securely fastened to her forehead. Normally she wouldn't care to wear it in such a plain fashion. It was a fairly drab article of clothing but given the nature of her trip, she couldn't afford to take any chances. Misidentification in hostile lands had proven the end to many a young shinobi. Samurai Country was likely to be filled with trigger happy rounin who would like nothing more than to extract their pound of flesh from a foreign genin. By showing she was with Kiri she was drawing unneeded attention to herself in the most unfashionable way possible. But it also alerted them to the fact that if she went missing, there'd be hell to pay.

Kitsuki stopped her horse right before the Samurai Bridge and waved over to the samurai on the other side. She could only enter their lands with permission. Those had been the explicit orders that she had received from the Mizukage's Office. Kitsuki's intention had been to travel to the Land of Iron to personally apologize for Kiri's attack on the sovereign nation. As member of the Royal House and Public Relations Chief, it was her duty to smooth over relations. And who better to do it than a Lady of the WASP? The diplomatic mission also had another component to it. One that she would only share when she had gained an audience with the Shogun.

+5 Grace

Grace Pool Total: 5

Village : Minor Nation

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Katon, Kenjutsu, Iryojutsu
    Class: A
    Ryo: My only wealth is Aihi

Land Ho! Empty Re: Land Ho!

Post by Kiyoko Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:28 am

Kiyoko was busy with her daily duties, which had started much earlier than she had wished, as usual. There never seemed to be enough hours in the day for her to accomplish everything she wanted, not that she was complaining. It was her own fault after all, no one managed her time for her, she just needed to get better at it. There were always drills to do, patrols to manage, sites to oversee. While she was not directly responsible for any of it; she did answer directly to the Lord Shogun and as his ‘diplomat’ it was kinda in her job description to make sure all areas that affected him were secure. She’d been slowly getting used to routine, she’d spent far too long away from home and despite her outward stoicism it had been a struggle to readjust.

While she had been intending on spending a quiet day catching up with all the things that needed attending to, she was inwardly dismayed to see a runner flagging her down frantically as she was headed to the stables. The day was chilly, even for the Land of Iron so she was wrapped in a long cloak trimmed with fur and should have been quite warm in it. But when she heard the runner’s words a chill ran through her. “Shinobi. . . from. . . Kirigakure. . .” The man gasped out the words, his face red and hair soaked with sweat. He must have run like the wind to reach her. With a quick movement she turned to face him directly and barked out a single word. “Where.” The man took a gulp of air before raising an exertion trembling arm to point and answer her. “Samurai Bridge.” Without a word Kiyoko bowed her head to thank the man and checked her sword. Redemption was right where it should be, strapped securely to her side. Satisfied she had everything she needed; her katana and her rage - she continued to the stables, mounted a horse and galloped to the bridge.

She struggled with her emotions as she rode. She hated shinobi. She had done much to confront those feelings since having met Kensai. She did not want to dishonour him by going against his wishes, but the thought of slicing through shinobi was a welcome one. It had been too long since she’d had the opportunity to make them pay for what they did, and now she wanted nothing more. It was as though her mount could sense her fury, as the horse ran faster the angrier Kiyoko became. Thoughts of her parents, her village, her father - all of it swirled around in an excruciating miasma of tenuously held back violence. She allowed it for a time, reveling in the thoughts of vengeance. Just as quickly as her feelings of hatred had reared their head though she took a deep breath and centered herself. Her father had taught her many valuable things, the most important of which she thought was how to manage her emotions. It wasn’t enough to wish them away or bury them like they’d never existed; it was vital to allow yourself space to explore them. Emotions would rule you otherwise.

It was a short ride to the Bridge from where she’d been, at least short when at a full gallop. Within minutes she saw the samurai standing watch and with a final burst of speed the horse carried her to their sides as she dismounted, not waiting for the steed to come to a full stop. The wind blew tiny crystals of ice against her face, were it not for the fairly serious situation she may have been enchanted by the beauty around her. She nodded to the three samurai and then looked past them to the far side of the bridge fully expecting to see at least a squad. She raised a brow quizzically at the guards, unclasped her cloak and handed it off to one of them. With one hand on the hilt of her blade and the other on the sheath she would walk forward confidently towards the lone figure she saw. She made for a less than imposing figure as she walked up, all five foot two of her. The cloak she usually wore at least aided in making her appear larger, but she couldn’t fight with it on. She studied the area, she wouldn’t fall prey to another dirty ninja trap and so she listened and watched as she approached. When she was within comfortable talking distance she would address the young woman seated on a horse in a flat tone. “State your business shinobi.”

(10 exp)
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Mist Jounin
    Mist Jounin

Post by Kitsuki Kurahasa Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Kitsuki waited for an emissary to give her leave to enter the country. When a woman with a sheathed sword came riding up to the bridge, Kit was optimistic that her entrance would go smoothly. One look at the woman's expression told her that she was wrong. Kit raised both hands into the air to indicate that she was unarmed. She then dismounted with practiced ease, a feat made possible through years of training.

Ever since she had formed a bond with Zizz, Kit learned to read people's emotions. Their body language, tone, facial expressions, and their general aura said a lot about them. She wasn't a master at it but she could generally ascertain someone's disposition just by analyzing them. The woman that was now standing before her was anything but warm. There was an anger there and Kit couldn't help but feel that that anger was justified. Kirigakure had ransacked the Land of Iron and stolen their most prized possessions. If Kit were in this stranger's shoes she'd be wroth. Realizing that any word she said could be taken the wrong way, she spoke in a calm and gentle voice.

"My name is Kitsuki Kurahasa, I am a Chuunin of Kirigakure no Sato and a Member of the Kiri Royal House. My purpose here is to soothe relations between our countries. I wish to make a formal apology on behalf of the Kiri government for the crimes committed against your people. I'm not here to hurt or harm your nation, just heal it. My Mizukage has also authorized me to tell you that we are preparing to return what was taken from you....along with a generous sum of Ryo. On these grounds, I humbly ask for your permission to enter the Land of Iron "

Kitsuki bowed deeply to the Samurai. It was possible that the samurai would not accept her apology, but maybe she'd at least be willing to take the compensation that Kiri has set aside for them.

If you can't appeal to their sentimentality...appeal to their desire to rebuild and strengthen themselves....

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Having spent as much time as she did in Kumogakure, Kiyoko was familiar with the rank the girl standing before her mentioned that she held. She’d previously assumed that shinobi everywhere were the same, and this only further reaffirmed that belief. She did find it intriguing that a literal child with such a low rank was sent on this type of diplomatic mission. It made her wonder how much value was actually placed on this so-called member of royalty. If she had her way she would lop off the girls head and send it back as a warning against shinobi attempting to enter their lands. Sadly with the girl not posing any actual threat currently she knew better than to go against the will of the Shogun. Kiyoko was not one for forgiveness, least of all in the face of such blatant cruelty, greed and destruction. The girl before her must not have personally participated, only heard stories or some such, the way she spoke of the razing of the Land of Iron made it sound peaceful and small. Kiyoko could not help the flash of rage that would streak across her face, her fingers subtly tightening on the hilt of her sword. It was brief but palpable, and it took some effort to quash her emotions as she considered how to respond to the girls plea.

With a hard gaze she studied the shinobi, this was something that the Shogun should deal with himself, but seeing as he was indisposed it fell to her currently. She would most likely get an earful later, from either Kensai or Okane, but for now there was no one else. She thought about what Kensai would do if he were here, however didn’t have to think long. They had had many talks about the concept of reparations and forgiveness, and Kensai’s wish to see the Land of Iron return to what it once was; strong, peaceful and welcoming - though forever neutral. She knew that in order to honour the will of the Shogun she would have to attempt to embody his ideals, something she did not think she would have to do so soon. Kiyoko had always imagined that her anger was something that she could keep, low burning and ever present. It seemed today that the universe had other ideas. With a small sigh she loosened the grip on her sword and nodded at the girl. “Kitsuki Kurahasa, I will allow you entry to our lands with several conditions. There is to be no acts of aggression from you, your kind are not trusted here; do not expect a warm welcome, the shinobi from your lands are personally responsible for the death and destruction that was wrought in most recent memory. As such you will most likely be regarded with either fear or hatred, this is something you must bear. Any acts of aggression on your part will result in swift retribution. You will be held to the laws of our land, if you have any uncertainty, now is the time to raise questions. You are to take nothing with you when you leave, save that which is clearly and directly afforded you. You will relinquish any weaponry you possess, it will be returned to you when you leave, your safety will be assured by my hand. I am Kiyoko Ono, the Diplomat and the personal guard of the Shogun.”

Kiyoko knew that what she was asking of the girl was quite a lot, to enter a strange land where she was hated and leave all her defenses behind. However she also knew that if she was wrong, and this shinobi’s intentions were not sincere this would be their best chance at subduing her. She was fully aware of the ninja magics that did not require any weaponry, she’d seen enough of it in her travels to know that shinobi were still deadly without steel. But she had no way of ensuring that those magics could not be used. She would wait to see if the girl had any questions, answering them as neutrally as she could, before directing her towards the other end of the bridge. “Follow me, this land is cold and unforgiving, and I suspect not what you are used to.” It was an especially cold day, and here on the bridge the ice shards could slice the skin if exposed for too long.  

(20 exp)
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Mist Jounin
    Mist Jounin

Post by Kitsuki Kurahasa Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:22 am

Kitsuki could see the hate in the woman's eyes. She grew still. She couldn't even summon her cane or take preventative measures in case of an attack. Any movement or action that could be perceived as hostile would bring the wrath of the samurai down on her head. She couldn't fight them all nor did she want to. She'd be forced to flee and the diplomatic mission would be a total failure. The best she could do was remain silent and hope that she wouldn't have to retreat or defend herself from lethal force. Eventually, Kiyoko's grip on her weapon loosened and she began to speak. She had made whatever calculations she had and decided not to cut Kitsuki down where she stood.

Kitsuki sighed a breath of relief when Kiyoko told ther that she could enter but with a strict set of conditions. Kitsuki nodded enthusiastically to each one. She was beginning to think this was a bad idea. The samurai had not forgotten the wrongs that were done to them. Why should they? Barely a year if that had passed since the attack on their fair land. The memory was fresh in their minds and Kitsuki was starting to think that maybe it was better to leave them be. She might be doing more harm than good by trying to befriend and serve the people of Iron. Maybe the prudent thing to do would be to let them heal and rebuild on their own.

"I agree to all your conditions without reservation. I'm going to summon my cane into my hand and then turn over the rest of my weaponry" she explicitly told Kiyoko what she was going to do before she did it. She didn't want her use of Angel Return to be taken as an attack. Once the warning had been given, a golden light would flash and Kituski's signature cane would appear in her hand. She'd turn the weapon and all of her other items over to Kiyoko and/or her subordinates. She felt vulnearable without her effects but she told herself she'd be fine. The samurai were not a treacherous people. Unlike shinobi, they kept their word. As long as she took no aggressive actions, she would not be harmed. If one of the samurai was overcome by grief and a desire for revenge, she'd run or tell the authorities. She would not fight back even if she was more than capable of doing so.

Kitsuki bowed again even in the face of Kiyoko's hateful glare. She had to swallow her pride if she was going to make amends.

"Thank you for allowing me entry. I have no questions for the moment....again, I must reiterate that my nation regrets the crimes perpetuated against your people. I came here with the attention of assisting in the rebuilding efforts but if my presence is not welcome in that capacity, I will merely meet with the Shogun and take my leave."

Kitsuki then followed Kiyoko Ono. She nodded in response but to Kiyoko's comment but she'd appear unbothered by the climate. The weather was indeed colder than what she was used to but Kitsuki's superhuman constitution protected her from the elements. She was also wearing a rather expensive and stylish pure winter-coat. It was something fit for royalty but now Kit had regretted bringing it. She didn't need it that badly and it only made her seem opulent and pompous. She sighed and did her best not to think about it. Instead, she focused on following her guide. Apparently, this person was very high up in the Land of Iron's military. She was the personal guard to the Shogun and the chief diplomat. It was her job to receive and treat with other shinobi nations and she looked as though she wanted to decapitate Kit on the spot. If she bore such hatred for Kit then she could only imagine what the common man's views were.

+5 Grace
    Grace Pool Total: 10

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 am

Kiyoko was pleased that Kitsuki had no reservations about any of her requests. She had not been looking forward to the exchange in the first place, and it seemed the girl was sincere in her efforts to remain peaceful. As the shinobi summoned her weapon Kiyoko was reminded that it would only be through intention that this would go well - there was little that she could do to anticipate the types of weaponry that the shinobi had access to. Holding up a hand she would summon one of the guards forward and direct them to take possession of the Kiri-nin’s weaponry. Once the girl’s weapons were secured Kiyoko would continue on her way to her horse, expecting the shinobi to follow.

With a deep internal sigh Kiyoko would make an effort to be hospitable. She didn’t want to, but she also knew that being kind was what the Shogun would expect. And so far this one had given her no reason to be anything less. “You’re either very brave or very stupid, but I suspect it is the former. At the very least your intentions seem sincere, giving up your weaponry in the face of such resentment is admirable. I am somewhat familiar with the lifestyle of the shinobi and I understand the detriment that being without weapons possesses.” She would begin checking the tack of her mount in preparation for a ride back to Tetsumura, she had ridden hard to get here and she wouldn’t be surprised if some of it had loosened. She would coo gently to the horse as she tightened the straps holding the saddle, the act calming her furious heart. The animal had no visible reaction to the shinobi and it reminded her of what the Shogun had said to her during their first diplomatic mission; ‘I’ve come to the realization that they don’t choose their lives’. She knew that she could hate their society, their intentions, their armies - without hating this person in particular. Who as far as she knew hadn’t been personally responsible for anything that grieved her.

Mounting her horse she would turn to regard her guest, taking pains to appear less intimidating. She didn’t go so far as to smile, that wasn’t her way, but she would offer a friendly nod. “It’s a decent trek to the village proper, one best not made on foot - unless you enjoy hiking through the snow for hours. Soon enough though we’ll be somewhere warm with food and drink and with a stable for your horse. I’m curious though, you intend to assist in the physical rebuilding of the village? Pardon me for saying, but you don’t seem like the hands on type, though any assistance you can offer will be appreciated, many hands make light work as they say.” Her words were spoken with true curiosity, Kitsuki looked more like one who was comfortable giving orders rather than working with her hands, though she had been surprised many times before by less than obvious talents that others possessed.
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Mist Jounin
    Mist Jounin

Post by Kitsuki Kurahasa Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:40 am

Kit tried not to smile at Kiyoko's words. From what she had read, the samurai were serious folk and although there was cheekiness in the statement, Kit didn't want any cultural miscommunication. She was flattered to be called brave by the woman but it wasn't exactly accurate. She had a guardian Angel with her every step of the way. With Zizz by her side, Kitsuki could manage to defend herself without the need of weaponry. However, this wasn't the time or the place to communicate such a fact so instead she said:

"Thanks but its probably a bit of both....the truth is that it'd be awfully hypocritical of me to ask you to trust Kiri's intentions if I weren't willing to put my own life on the line. Its the least I can do."

She didn't boast of her power or threaten retaliation from Kiri should something happen to her. She needed to keep it modest and light. This was about trust not fear of reprisal. Kitsuki could see that there was a gentleness about this woman. She had softened a bit from their first interaction but she remained focused and stand-offish. Yet in the moments that she interacted with her horse, Kit could tell there was a good heart underneath the vicious exterior. After surrendering her items, Kitsuki re-mounted her horse upon the samurai's suggestion. If it was going to be a long trek then she'd need to get back on the saddle. It also was poor form to keep walking while Kiyoko rode on her horse. As a diplomat she needed to appear conciliatory and contrite but she couldn't be a walking doormat. She had her own pride and honor. If the samurai stepped on it too harshly then she'd have to defend herself. From atop her own steed, Kit replied:

"I get that a lot but trust me when I say looks can be deceiving. I'm stronger than most shinobi my age. I can roll up my sleeves and help with the rebuilding personally..." Kitsuki contemplated asking the woman about her horse. She decided against it as it was too familiar a subject to bring up. They weren't friends nor even friendly acquaintances. If she overplayed her hand then it could undo what little respect she had won from the Shogun's guard. "I appreciate your hospitality, given the circumstances its better than any Kiri emissary deserves......"

Kitsuki wanted to say more or ask more but she didn't want to risk offending the samurai. If she pried too hard on any particular subject she might inadvertently make her stay miserable. She was a diplomat but sometimes the best way to conduct diplomacy was to choose your words carefully and when you weren't sure what to say then silence was the best option.

+5
    Grace Pool: 15
    Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:32 am

Kiyoko very nearly snorted as Kitsuki said it was the least she could do. Instead she would lean down and softly coo to her mount, the horse was agitated because Kiyoko was agitated and she didn’t want her horse to be upset. For as little as Kiyoko understood about people she somehow better understood and trusted animals. Their needs were simple; eat, sleep, hunt or feed. As long as they had those they were fine, they didn’t worry about proper decorum, what to say to whom, gossip or lies or war. They were simple and that suited Kiyoko just fine. Once she was satisfied that the horse was calmed she would slide her foot into the stirrup while grasping the saddle and swing herself onto the horse in one fluid motion. Only then would she return her attention to the girl and give a response.

“That remains to be seen, but time will tell. I have no reason to disbelieve your claims other than the prejudice I hold for your kind in my heart. Perhaps you will show me that I am wrong. I hope you do.” Kiyoko would gently nudge the mare forward with her heels as she clicked sharply with her tongue, settling back comfortably in the saddle as the horse slowly moved forward at her encouragement. She would ride silently for a while contemplating the shinobi’s words, expecting the girl to follow her. She sincerely doubted that this was going to go well, a lifetime’s worth of hatred and bitterness was still swirling through her and she didn’t know how to let it go. Kiyoko knew it wasn’t enough to not speak of her anger, or to simply hide it away. There was a dangerous path for her, to pretend that her feelings didn’t exist was to let them control her. She had to explore them, make peace with them - somehow.

With a heavy sigh she would half turn her head back towards the representative of Kirigakure. “It is more than I believe you deserve. Fortunately for you I have clear instructions not to murder all the shinobi I see. It seems the Shogun wishes to have peaceful relations with all those who wish the same.” She spoke matter-of-factly, there was no threat or hidden meaning in her voice. She wouldn’t know how to veil her threats even if she was so inclined. “It must be no secret to you that I am displeased at your presence, do not take it personally. You have the misfortune of being tasked with something that should never have been laid on the shoulders of a child. No matter how capable you may be.”

Her grip on the reins would tighten, her knuckles turning white as she fought to hold back her anger. It was maddening the atrocities that were committed by shinobi society, passed off as normal and mundane activities. A diplomatic mission such as this was likely to include a great deal of risk, the kind of risk that should be reserved for adults. The thought made her almost feel sorry for the girl, anyone that sent her either cared little for her well being or were themselves just as delusional about what was appropriate. Relaxing her grip on the reins she would breathe slowly and purposefully, willing her anger to quiet itself. “Tell me of your lands. It seems only fair as I am showing you mine.” She would gesture broadly at the snow covered trees and rocks around them as she spoke. She was not good with idle chit chat, and she really didn’t feel up to it, but she was told that it was preferable to tense silence.
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Mist Jounin
    Mist Jounin

Post by Kitsuki Kurahasa Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Kitsuki was surprised at the woman's self-awareness. She openly acknowledged her hostility and hoped that Kit would prove her prejudices wrong. Kiyoko was justified in her behavior but Kit found it oddly refreshing in how honest the Diplomat was. Social grace had its niceties but the one thing that had irked Kitsuki was how fake it could all be sometimes. High society occasionally called for you to treat people with respect even when they didn't earn it or in some cases deserved the exact opposite. That wasn't the way of the samurai it seemed. "I will" Kitsuki said in reply. It was said softly but with an unmistakable tone of determination. Kiyoko had lost faith in the shinobi world and its ability to do the right thing. Kit couldn't let that stand. She'd right the wrongs of the past and change the woman's perspective on the ninja world. It was what the WASP had trained her for after all. Kitsuki followed Kiyoko keeping a single pace behind her so that the Iron native could lead the way.

She was content following in silence but Kiyoko had other ideas. As if her previous statement didn't make it clear enough, Kiyoko bluntly stated what Kitsuki had long suspected. She harbored a deep hatred for ninja-kind and would sooner kill them than treat with them. Fortunately, the Shogun was a practical man and was open to peaceful terms with Kirigakure. This was a good sign even if it was a bit unnerving. Kit's guide was under direct orders not to kill her, but if not for the Shogun's charity then Kit might very well have had to fight for her life.

What Kiyoko said next was something that Kit had never really considered. She said that her frustrations with the shinobi world went beyond this individual encounter. She remarked that it was unfair that a child should have to bear such a burden regardless of their strength. Kit guessed that Kiyoko was alluding to the fact that child warfare had been a way of life in the shinobi world since time immemorial. She wasn't sure if the samurai had the same tradition but judging from Kiyoko's words she guessed not. Kitsuki never had a problem with being groomed for warfare. Headmaster Sukimori had written a dissertation on the subject and had concluded that the reason the youth must be the ones to shoulder the burdens of change was because unlike the elderly they were unencumbered by tradition. They could learn from the past but their boundless energy, creativity, and optimism made them a force to be reckoned with on the world stage. It was why the average age for leadership had been preciously declining over the past few centuries. A young shinobi was a strong shinobi. Removing children from the battlefield was a luxury that the planet simply could not afford. If one nation opted to do so they'd be at a severe disadvantage in comparison to nations that did. Evil had no problem using the youth to their advantage and so the good must be willing to do the same.

Kit disagreed with Kiyoko's assessment even though she was touched by the concern that the woman displayed. Rather than start a debate though, Kitsuki catered to the Diplomat's biases.

"My family made their money through mercantilism. They weren't shinobi just shippers. They gave me the choice of following in the family business and I turned them down but I only did it because where I'm from the only way to be truly respected by your peers is to become a shinobi. I've never known anything else." she said truthfully.

Kitsuki wanted to say more. She wanted to tell Kiyoko about how her real dream was to become the world's greatest musician but she feared that if she opened up to Kiyoko about that, it'd only make the woman more bitter to the shinobi world. It was clear she didn't like the idea of children fighting and if Kit told her how her school had pushed her into the ninja career as opposed to letting her be a musician, it might endear her to Kit at the cost of lowering her esteem to Kiri. As the nation's PR Specialist that was out of the question.

Kit wasn't sure where to go with such a sensitive subject but luckily Kiyoko solved the dilemma for her. She asked Kitsuki about her home land and the young girl perked up and smiled. She was rather proud of her home and while she didn't want to brag about the Isles, she believed it was the best place to in the world to grow up. Normally she wouldn't make unsolicited comments about it given who she was talking to but since she was being asked Kitsuki thought this might be a good opportunity to humanize her country.

"The Land of Water is pretty different from here..." she started. She'd have to navigate this carefully lest she offend the already irritated samurai. "Its not as cold, the climate is a bit more moderate. Imagine a nice chilly breeze from the sea every now and again. The humidity is the only problem but you get used to it after awhile. Each of the islands that make up Mizu no Kuni have their own distinct culture and history, it was only relatively recently that they were united under a single national government. The island I'm from is in the northeast, the Hozuki Isles, mainly a trading hub with a few ports all around. In Kiri everyone learns to swim, fish, and sail at a young age. A lot of what we do and who we are is based around the seas.....I'm not much of a swimmer or a fisher but I do like to sail on occasion...I-I could arrange to take you some time...if you wanted to experience that is"

The offer was a bit of a gamble but Kitsuki figured the conversation could not progress unless she risked such reactions.

+5
    Grace Pool: 20
    Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 pm

Kiyoko was saddened to hear of why the girl had chosen to become a shinobi. It was one of her deepest grievances with the entire culture. Child warfare. The Samurai had never done such a thing as far as history could tell. Children were cherished, they held worth. Not treated like weapons, not disposable. To feel forced to choose such a life in order to gain the respect of your peers was heartbreaking. Kiyoko would look back at the young woman with a look of pity, but said nothing. While her anger for shinobi culture had not faded, she felt a small crack in the armor she had built when she looked at the girl.

She wanted to comfort her, to tell her that there were better ways, and that she could pursue them if she was brave enough. But she didn’t. Sadly although the emissary was a child, she’d said herself that she had never known anything else. There would be little that she could do or say now that could repair that kind of damage. She was entrenched in it now. Kiyoko wondered offhandedly if sending a child had actually been a strategic move after all, intentional. She didn’t think it was a secret how the Samurai viewed children being sent to war, anyone worth their salt would know it. This hurt her heart even more, and she would grip the reins tighter as she allowed her mount to lead the way.

The girl perked up at her questions about her homeland. It was a fairly neutral topic. She listened politely as she spoke about the islands and some of their customs. The girl's confidence wavered towards the end, when suggesting that she take Kiyoko to see it. Kiyoko just laughed, long and loud. “You should have been a merchant Kitsuki. Your sales pitch is pretty good.” She would chuckle for a while, the girl clearly loved her country. Which was good, but the offer to be shown it was suspicious. Possibly just the hopes of a child, possibly a trap. In truth she was curious, and would very much like to see it. But it was a dangerous prospect, going to a foreign country, one that was so recently and violently hostile towards her own country. “Perhaps one day you can show me your country. It does sound interesting.” She was trying her best to be civil, and it was moderately successful it seemed. At least the emissary wasn’t crying, or running away or yelling at her. She’d done a lot of very difficult things in her life, but this was among the hardest. “What do you think of mine so far? Cold enough for you?”

The Diplomat:
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Mist Jounin
    Mist Jounin

Post by Kitsuki Kurahasa Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:04 am

Kit saw how Kiyoko had looked back at her. Her statement had had its intended effect and it made Kit feel a bit guilty. Like she was playing Kiyoko by making her feel sorry for her. Kitsuki didn't see herself as a victim and while she could understand why child warfare was viewed harshly, she also understood that it was a necessary evil in a world as fantastical as their's. Then again, it was rare for a victim of abuse to see themselves as abused. It made her consider whether the Samurai were actually right and whether it truly was wise to allow children to fight on the battlefield. Kitsuki shook the thought out of her mind. The philosophy of war was not why she was here. She hadn't lied to Kiyoko merely engaged in smart diplomacy. As long as she didn't keep pushing that narrative and making up sob stories then she was sure that the Diplomat would not think her to be a manipulative Machiavellian.

Mercifully, the conversation veered to something a bit more light-hearted. When Kiyoko praised her review of the Isles, Kitsuki blushed. That was not a compliment she heard from anyone except her parent's business friends. It was something they often said to butter up her Dad and she had always brushed it off. She had ambitions of owning her own record label and that did call for some business acumen but she certainly didn't see herself as a merchant. The mere thought elicited a genuine chuckle. It wasn't as hearty as her guide's own laugh but it was real and it served to lessen the rift between them. "Haha, thanks I guess although now you sound like one of my Dad's business buddies" she said with a playful smile. She was glad that her description of how great the Isles were did not offend the samurai. The last thing she wanted to do was come across as bragging about the nation that had decimated the woman's home. Kiyoko appeared to decline the offer at least for now. The fact that she had warmed up to Kit was a good sign and she'd graciously take what she could get at this point. When Kiyoko asked what she thought of the Land of Iron, Kit was caught a bit of guard. The joke about it being cold enough for her was rather appropriate though.

"Yeah I was told that it'd be cold....I didn't think it'd be this cold. Makes me wonder how cold the Land of Snow and the Land of Frost are...." Kit remembered the original question and quickly added. "I think its beautiful though...the mountain ranges are majestic. I'm something of a musician* so I would love to play in the caves, caverns, and mountains of your country. I'm sure if you hit just the right notes you could get a lovely melodic echo. That's something that you can't really accomplish in most nations....artificial music chambers just aren't the same...."

Kit stopped herself from going further. Maestro Ko had turned her into a true music nerd but she didn't want to bore Kiyoko with the subtleties of harmonic environmental acoustics. She had given a genuine compliment that came from her own knowledge of music. She did it with the intention to flatter the samurai but she had not lied or exaggerated in the process. If she had all the money in the world, she'd build a amphitheater in the biggest mountain range she could find and play a devastatingly powerful symphony in the cold open air.

+5
    Grace Pool: 25

*Note: Kit is being modest. She is one of the top ten flute players in the world for her age group and one of the top twenty pianists in the world period.
    Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:04 am

Try as she might, Kiyoko was finding it more and more difficult to remain angry with the young shinobi. In truth though she had never been angry with Kitsuki specifically, just at what she represented, which was hardly fair to take out on her. She was starting to understand the wisdom of the Shogun’s words and feeling a deep shame as a result. So far she’d be quite unkind to every shinobi she had seen - viewing them all with the same blanket hatred. Absentmindedly  her hand would move from the reins of her mount to the small bulge of her belly. She didn’t want to be a hypocrite, she couldn’t afford to be anymore. Now that she had a little one of her own on the way she had a responsibility to raise her without hatred. She knew it would be a daughter, just knew it in her bones. And when she looked over at the young woman that she was escorting she couldn’t help but imagine how she would feel if her child was the one being escorted through hostile territory all alone. She would have half a mind to murder anyone that treated her own child like she was currently treating Kitsuki.

With a sad and quiet sigh Kiyoko would slow her horse so that it rode parallel to Kitsuki’s. Life had been easier when all she’d had to worry about was whether the nameless bandits on the side of the road were actually trying to murder her. That one she could just solve with her sword. People, more specifically people you had to talk to, were much more complicated - and also not usually solved with murder. Not usually.

Kiyoko would chuckle at Kitsuki’s answer about the cold. She thought back to her first day back in the Iron Country, she had been dressed for the desert and the cold was most unpleasant. And she’d known what to expect. A blush would form across her cheeks as she lingered on the memory of her first night back, and thankfully her musings were interrupted by Kitsuki speaking about her music. She would turn and face Kitsuki, trusting the horse to go forward on its own. “You’re a musician? I don’t mean to be rude, really I don’t, but I hadn’t considered that shinobi had time for anything else.” She was genuinely curious, she was not a musician herself - oh sure like any good samurai she could pick out a tune on a flute but beyond that she was unfamiliar with the skill. A bit more kindly Kiyoko would continue. “Did you bring an instrument with you? Would you. . . would you mind playing something?”

The Diplomat:
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Mist Jounin
    Mist Jounin

Post by Kitsuki Kurahasa Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:29 am

Kitsuki could see that the Diplomat was softening. The quiet sigh, the way she held her stomach, the fact that she was now riding alongside Kit instead of in front of her, all of it demonstrated that the rift between the two representatives was slowly receding. There was still a lot of work to do but just by being herself, Kitsuki was lessening the woman's hostility towards her. It wouldn't make the Land of Iron an ally overnight, but it could serve as the foundation for healing and contrition.

ⵙⴻⴻ ⵉ ⵜoⵍⴷ ⵢoⵓ ⵙⵀⴻ'ⴷ ⵛoⵎⴻ ⴰⵔoⵓⵏⴷ

When Kiyoko turned to face her directly, Kit did her best to give the expecting mother her full attention. Horseback riding was one of the lessons given to the young girls of the WASP. However, she wasn't confident enough in her ability to steer her horse in unfamiliar terrain without keeping her eyes on the road. The result was a rather awkward sideways glance. She didn't want to make it look like she wasn't paying attention to her host, but it was tough to do look at Kiyoko and watch where she was going. When Kiyoko expressed surprise at Kitsuki's status as a musician given her simultaneous career as a shinobi, Kit chuckled alongside her "Not at all! In fact I-" In her mirth, Kit accidentally guided her horse's foot into a nearby brook. This caused her to hobble on the creature's back as it reared up. She managed to get it under control but the beast clearly didn't approve of her leadership. The horse's snorting and puffing created wisps of hot air that traveled upwards into the snowy mountain sky.

"Sorry about that" Kitsuki commented. "Still getting used to the terrain...." It was a rookie mistake but Kit tried not to beat herself up about it. Horseback riding was never her strong suit, Katsumi was always better at that sort of thing. She tried to pick up where she left off without sounding too flustered.

"Well...most shinobi don't but I'm pretty good at time management"

ⵉ ⵙⴻⴻ ⵡⵀⴰⵜ ⵢoⵓ ⴷⵉⴷ ⵜⵀⴻⵔⴻ! ⵢoⵓ ⵜⴻⵍⵍ ⴻⵎ ⴳⵉⵔⵍ!

"Music is one of the things I care most about. It was there before I became a genin and dropping it never felt right. I want my own career but keeping my skills sharp is hard enough. Maybe when I retire someday...a lot of the world-class orchestra have former shinobi in their ranks. You don't get to that level of competitive classical music without superhuman dexterity and lung capacity. In fact, my teacher Maestro Ko, 17th Conductor of the Harmonious 世人 Orchestra is one of the few conductors to NOT have served in the military. His Eminence Dsao, the 43rd Conductor of the Triumphant Aquatic Orchestra put in place a rule stating you couldn't even apply for 1st chair in his orchestra unless you had military service. I haven't managed to get an audition with either b-" Kitsuki realized that she was nerding out hardcore on the competitive classical music scene. It was very unladylike and improper to prattle about one's hobbies without first establishing mutual interest. She stopped herself there. "Well you get the idea...few orchestra musicians are active duty but maybe one day I can balance both or just...retire early I guess"

The last part wasn't really on the table. She didn't want to go into detail but Kitsuki very much felt obligated to continue her ninja career even at the expense of her true passion. Things were expected of her. Big things. She took a deep breath and finally got around to answering Kiyoko's question.

"I always bring an instrument with me. Always. I have my flute in my pack and I'd love to play for you....but maybe it might be a better idea to wait until we get to our destination" Kit smiled hoping that Kiyoko understood. The near toppling of the girl and her horse would be sufficient cause to delay playing her flute. Kitsuki was now rather excited. She had come on this trip with the intention of mending relations between the two countries but she had taken a liking to her counterpart. It felt less like a job and more of a chance to introduce a new acquaintance to the beauty of classical music.

+5
    Grace Pool: 30

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:00 pm

Kiyoko allowed the girl to save face as she accidentally led her horse off the trail and into a small brook. It was funny but Kiyoko was not a cruel person and so merely shrugged and carried on forward once she was sure the girl was not in danger of falling off her mount. “The terrain is fairly treacherous up here.” She would pat the side of her own mounts neck affectionately as she spoke. “It’s why our horses are so big, they’re bred for these mountains.” As a further kindness Kiyoko would pull her horse ahead of the girls own and turn in the saddle to face her, allowing Kitsuki to ride safely while still carrying on the conversation. Kiyoko and her mount knew this path by heart they had ridden so often. They both could probably make their way back to Tetsumura blindfolded if necessary. “Kome and I here have had many an unexpected fall while learning this terrain together.” She would turn her head back for a moment as though speaking to her horse directly. “Have we not, Kome?” The horse would not reply of course, but on hearing its name would gently snort and shake its mane.

Kiyoko would carry on riding this way, backwards in her saddle, until they reached Tetsumura proper. She wasn’t that far removed from a time when she didn’t know how to ride a horse. It had been a miracle at all that she’d found one that could ride with her despite her strange ways. She wasn’t showing off her own skill but rather the skill of the horse, a horse that thankfully was exceedingly patient with her antics. The name of the horse was not something she liked, the namesake of her most significant regret, but the horse was older and she had been told that it would have a good deal of trouble learning a new name. It had taken some time but she had grown used to it, even begun to appreciate the name. She finally had the Kome she always should have; loyal and patient and loving, and definitely not trying to get her murdered by a bunch of crazy shinobi.

Asking about the girls musical talents was apparently akin to the breaking of a dam. She lit up immediately, excitedly talking about not only her own interest in the art but the history of various orchestras from her homeland. Kiyoko would listen patiently and while she understood very little of what Kitsuki was speaking about she enjoyed her enthusiasm. Passion was something that Kiyoko could understand and appreciate, it was what drove her whole life. Even though she hadn’t followed her history lesson very well Kiyoko was a bit disappointed as the girl would cut herself off from her train of thought and returned to the more diplomatic demeanour she’d had when she first arrived. It was maddening to see that kind of drive and passion snuffed out in place of duty to her country’s military. Her anger would flare again for a moment, her brown eyes flashing as she thought she watched Kitsuki give up on her dream. It was the lack of confidence in her statement about retiring early that got to her. She knew duty and discipline, it was the Samurai way, but never at the expense of art. Celebrating the beauty and wonder of each moment was integral to her people, in everyday life as much as it was in war. She had never been forced to choose, and it seemed so horribly cruel that this girl was being placed in that position. A choice between what she so evidently loved and what her country demanded of their young.

With considerable effort Kiyoko buried her oncoming sermon about the evils inflicted on the world by the shinobi and focused on Kitsuki’s offer to play for her. Attempting to smile reassuringly, Kiyoko would nod at the suggestion of waiting until they arrived at Tetsumura. “We are almost there. I would very much like to hear you play.” She knew from the look of the trees around them that there were only two more bends in the road before the city would come into view. She had felt her heart warm towards the emissary from Kiri and she was beginning to regret bringing her here. There would be no warm welcome for the girl and she knew full well the only thing that protected the Kiri shinobi from the wrath of her people would be Kiyoko’s presence.

As they approached the gate that led into the city she would murmur quietly to Kitsuki. “This is Tetsumura, the city of Iron. We have done much to rebuild it though we still have a long way to go.” Kiyoko loved her country and her people, her voice was a mixture of pride at all they had withstood and accomplished, and sadness as she recalled what they had lost. The city itself had large stone walls around it, with houses and buildings made of stone and wood and paper climbing up the gentle sloping of the mountains that encircled it. Some buildings were newly constructed, others older with pieces repaired and there were many that were still the skeletal remains of greed turned to burning violence. The guards at the entrance to the city moved aside for Kiyoko as the two travellers approached, their deference to her was evident as they said nothing and bowed. Their gaze would follow the shinobi that rode with The Diplomat, eyes hardened and full of hatred.

The Diplomat:
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Kitsuki Kurahasa
    Mist Jounin
    Mist Jounin

Post by Kitsuki Kurahasa Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Kitsuki nodded as Kiyoko informed her that the horses of this region were specifically bred to handle the tough terrain. She still had a residue of blush on her face from her earlier mishap, but the embarrassment turned to amazement when she saw her guide ride blind. Wow....she really does know these lands like the back of her hand... Slowly but surely, the pair would reach their destination. The Diplomat introduced Kitsuki to Tetsumura, the City of Iron. Kit swallowed and put on her "business" face. She had to be strong, confident, but also kind. These people would not be happy to see a Kiri-Nin but she couldn't respond to their vitriol with anything other than grace. They had every right to be angry, she could only hope that her efforts would be enough to begin the long healing process. Kit kept her horse close to Kiyoko as she followed the woman into the city. It was a beautiful place even though its glory had been compromised by the greed of her Empire. She would work hard to rebuild their home and even though the people of Iron stared at her with contempt, she held her head high knowing that nothing would break her spirit. "Thank you for bringing me here safely, I will do my best to help mend what my village has broken"

+5
    Grace Pool: 35

Exit

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:46 am

Kiyoko would nod as Kitsuki thanked her for escorting her. She would turn her head from the girl and smile, shaking her head in incredulity. She’d hardly been good company and it was actually her job, she didn’t think she needed thanks for it. “Your thanks are unnecessary Miss Kurahasa. Especially considering I did threaten to kill you. I have no doubt that your efforts here will help Tetsumura.” She was certain that Kitsuki would do her best. The girl had shown her nothing to make her suspect that she had ulterior motives, quite the opposite. Once they passed through the gates she would dismount carefully and murmur softly to her horse, one hand resting on the future of her family and clan.

{Exit Thread}

The Diplomat:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 am