Welcome Guest! You have made 50 posts!

Join Our Discord! : Here After high demand from everyone, we've finally opened a Discord Chat Server for the site!
We are an AU Naruto Roleplay Forum!

2 posters

Changing Precognition

Naito
    Naito

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu, Weapon Smith, Wind Release
    Class: D
    Ryo: 0

Changing Precognition Empty Changing Precognition

Post by Naito Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Precognition is definitely an issue. It's an idea from an older system on a completely different site. It's basically:"Break RP Commandments, the Mechanic!"

Those are the metagaming, godmodding, and autohitting mechanics. They essentially allow the user to bullshit into knowing what's going to happen before it happens.

This is a problem for obvious reasons.

It creates a logic that because you foresaw it happening, your counter deserves to work. This one ability overpowers most other Attribute abilities which are "Ability to Dodge" "Ability to Counter" "Ability to Attack", etc. etc.

How would I solve this?

Simple. Rework the Intelligence, Coordination, and Speed stats. They should all inter-play here. Intelligence is important for planning + mental response time. Coordination is important for aiming your attacks so they hit. And Speed is important for physical response time and for getting close enough in range so that you hit.

But how would that work?

My personal vote is to add up the tiers/advantages in each and compare for responding to attacks.

Someone who's as smart as Shikamaru can hit someone like Hidan despite the fact that he's not as physically fast or coordinated.

Someone who's as fast as Naruto can hit someone like Itachi despite the fact he's not as coordinated or not as smart.

Does this nerf Intelligence?

Nah. It makes the game a bit less mechanic-y with its combat and makes things more RP-based. Every build is a little more different and Intelligence becomes on par (if not better) than Speed or Coordination, as it affects the connection of hits just as much as those stats do.

If people think that's too much, maybe reduce Intelligence's effect so that IDK you get it's Speed Coordination + (Int-1 Tier)?

That way Intelligence still benefits from it's other perks like it's skill influence and I think it still gives extra skills? IDR though it's been awhile since I worked on the beta and I haven't read the 2.0 Gladius rules fully yet.

color=#9900ff
    Andariel Bloodworth
    Andariel Bloodworth

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Bukijutsu | Chemistry | Genjutsu
    Class: B

Changing Precognition Empty Re: Changing Precognition

Post by Andariel Bloodworth Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 pm

I feel that method requires a bit of work and calculation on an abstract ability which is difficult to actually comprehend with stat comparisons.

My suggested method was to simply move the Global Forecasting perk from X-tier Intel down to S-tier Intel, specifying all Precogs can only be used defensively, and only allow offensive Precogs for X-tier Intel. As it currently stands any bloke with B-tier Intel can foresee attacks like a mastermind which I feel gives too much credit for somebody with a B-tier stat and really doesn't make sense according to the description.

It's more believable for somebody with B-tier Intel to make a precognitive leap that the 2nd person they were fighting who disappeared may be attacking from underground or their flank than to completely foresee every inch they're going to move at what time and how fast.

Speed: C
    Coordination: C
    Intelligence: B
    Perception: B
    Naito
    Naito

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu, Weapon Smith, Wind Release
    Class: D

Post by Naito Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:23 am

But that's my point. Speed and Coordination are also fairly abstract right now. It's one of the biggest issues TNRPG and Gladius faces regarding their mechanics imo. Intelligence getting the precog ability is broken, but at least tangible for what it's supposed to do. So why not either make it all abstract, or give those two things a similar ability so that things cancel out?

Would make the game a lot more interesting imo. Precog's not so broken if everyone has something like it or similar.

Only drawback is the game becomes more reliant on those 3 skills, but this is a Ninja RPG at its core and those 3 SHOULD be somewhat important. Strength and Con are still important for obvious reasons (though Str is probably the weakest stat imo).

Then again you guys also have Perception which makes this difficult.

IDK just a musing for people to consider.

color=#9900ff

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 pm